Affordable RSL5K self learning

Sherlock4me

Members,
Years ago I programmed SLC 500's. I relearned much of the skill in 2012 via youtube and getting a limited RSL 500 software package off the Allen Bradley website and used micrologix units to resharpen the skills. In 013 I used free literature and the 30 days free off line RsLogix 5000 to speak the language and develop rudimentary skills. After another tour in Afghanistan, I have dedicated my next six months to learning all I can in RsLogix 5000 and Studio 5000
My question is this. After I have read all the Allen Bradley manuals AND used any free software to get as far as I can; CAN I?
Buy a used compactLogix unit, and purchase a software package to program it at a much reduced price from the full RsLogix 5000 $6,000 price from Allen Bradley. My hope is to buy a much less expensive software package, Program the brains out of the CompactLogix units and learn via manuals or any free available sources the features in the full 5000 version that I cannot practice in the CompactLogix. Lastly, do you think 5000 is still cutting edge for Allen Bradley and this investment in time is wise or is RsLogix 10000 or similar around the corner? Sorry for the question length

What is your end goal; are you trying to get a job at a specific company that will not hire someone that isn't already very good with AB? To be honest, it sounds like you already know a decent amount about AB's stuff and could probably land a controls job based on that and have the company pay for all this ****. AB prices are more or less set to take advantage of industry inertia and do not reflect the quality or capability of the platform; getting a return on personally paying out that kind of cash is going to essentially be impossible. The only way I see this making sense is if you will be going into business for yourself as a contractor and you have a customer lined up that uses AB.

To address your question about AB's next big thing, Studio 5000 (they changed the name at v21 from RSLogix to Studio) v23 just came out (like last week) and I have it open next to RSLogix 5000 v17 from years and years before and they are pretty much the same. You're in no risk of AB coming out with anything appreciably different for years to come. Personally, if I was self teaching or training on my own dime, I would pirate the software and buy a legit copy only if I was actually going to use it for work as a contractor and couldn't get the customer to lend/give me a seat on their license.

If you are trying to actually use PLCs for yourself or start your own company where you get to pick the hardware, I do not recommend AB. They are way overpriced and under powered. If you're doing simple stuff, look at Automation Direct and ProFace (Trio if you have servo motion). If you are doing more complex things, B&R (and Elau and Beckhoff) is about half the price of AB and twice as capable. Your ladder logic skills will work for any Controls Platform and the software, training, and hardware is so incredibly less expensive with any other brand besides AB or Siemens.

CapinWinky,
Yes, I am trying to re-enter the job market as a Very capable programmer. I have seen first hand the over-priced propensities of AB. I was self employed for 10 years and built and designed relay logic U.L. listed panels and saw proprietary abuse once p.l.c.'s came into the market and were used in simple pump stations and tank sites where the only purpose was to lock Companies into service contracts and keep Municipal trouble-shooters out of the picture. However I am 48 with employment gaps between overseas jobs and really am barely a novice at RsL 5k though a licensed Master electrician in two states. Still I was hoping for a $2,000 investment between a used CPX and CPX software that would not suffice for RSL, but learn RSL by reading as much as possible.

The MSP,
Would I approach AB for that software that only works w/ CLX? That(CPX cheaper) is exactly my goal. I've seen such software on e-bay but really would need the tech. support. I guess I should just call AB once I've exhausted the free options?

Thank you both for your responses and thanks to everyone for being supportive over the years. I hope to be as knowledgeable one day so I can help here as well

You could install RSLogix5000 as a 30 day offline trial in a virtual machine. Before you execute L5K the very first time create a snapshot in the VM. After your 30 day trial expires you can revert back to the snapshot. A significant disadvantage to this method is that you will loose any work you have saved during the 30 days and any settings you have changed to customize L5K. Any windows updates or any other software you installed during the 30 days will be gone. You will be completely starting over as though you installed L5K but didn't run it and turned the computer off for 30 days. This would be unsuitable for any real project development. But since resetting a VM to the snapshot does not reset your brain you can keep building on what you learned during the 30 days.

Last edited:
I will definitely be downloading the 30 day offline version in a couple weeks, once I finish all the manuals I've downloaded from AB, and exhausted the few you tube videos, (I wish Ron B had a boot camp on rs5k; his 500 was invaluable in 012 when relearning rsl 500) but honestly I don't know what a VM or a snapshot is to candidly admit my ignorance. I feel hands on with a CompactLogix is a must to develop most or at least many of the skills I'll need.
If not I may be like my first P.L.C. college instructor in the early 90's who taught the class, (barely; as after 2 years we finally had the minimum number of students to have the class not cancelled). He taught theory but couldn't trigger an input, and get a corresponding output/ via simple logic. I pulled in our AB supplier who supplied many of our starters, relays etc... and he brought a SLC 500 trainer and we were off and running.
So as it stands I will purchase a compact logix unit keeping an eye on the rev info. for $500 to $600 give or take on e-bay, but first calling AB and inquiring as to the price of software for the cpx but not the rsl, if the total is over 2k for both, I'll have to punt.
Thanks for all the replies, Now back to the manuals

(I wish Ron B had a boot camp on rs5k; his 500 was invaluable in 012 when relearning rsl 500)

Ron does have a class on ControlLogix and RSLogix5000, see his courses page here: http://www.ronbeaufort.com/main_frame_page.htm

The fact that its on a ControlLogix rather than a CompactLogix doesn't really matter since they program the same way, though as I'm sure Ron would explain if you actually took his course (and as he has done in numerous posts here) that there are some differences "under the hood."

CapinWinky,

The MSP,
Would I approach AB for that software that only works w/ CLX? That(CPX cheaper) is exactly my goal. I've seen such software on e-bay but really would need the tech. support. I guess I should just call AB once I've exhausted the free options?

Yes your AB rep will be able to suppy the limited version of RSL5K that ONLY works with ComPactlogiX... not ControLlogiX...

also, as another option they now let you "rent" the software for a year as opposed to buying it outright.

Thanks for the links and the news about Ron B's classes. Renting sounds like a plan as it fits into my time frame with less of an investment and no down side ; since I'd better be skilled by then and employed with a new set of options. (hopefully learning more with my employers rslx5k, maybe classes) and etc.. I should be Golden now
Cannot thank you all enough!

I have found a ton of free vids on youtube that weren't there in 012 when I began the process of 5000. I will be calling today AB to get a price on renting CLX software for a year and will post it the event someone else may need the info someday.
Once I'm in, I'll get back with you guys if I get stuck but between the tech support, (assuming I can afford the rental) and reading I hope to be self supportive.
Thanks again