Most affordable PLC CPU with EIP

Originally i was after conventional plc hardware, but im glad i asked this question because this post has given me alot to explore.
Lots of things that i do not typically use right now.
Thank you all for the information.

From Wikipedia: Codesys is an integrated development environment for programming controller applications according to the international industrial standard IEC 61131-3. CODESYS is developed and marketed by the CODESYS Group that is headquartered in Kempten

You can download the guts of CoDeSys (what I think of as the programming integrated development environment) free right from the CoDeSys group. This lets you create programs and visualizations. It lets you run those programs in simulation mode. It also lets you run programs on your computer as a "soft PLC" for limited amounts of time for education and testing. When doing this you can even use ethernet fieldbus interfaces to communicate with real hardware.

What you don't get directly from CoDeSys group is the ability to run these programs on hardware. The link between the programs and the hardware are called targets and devices. Here is where the hardware manufacturers come into play.

Hardware companies that rely on CoDeSys for programming their hardware have customized/branded versions of CoDeSys that include targets, devices and libraries for using their hardware. For instance Eaton has XSoft that is used for programing their plcs. Bosch Rexroth has IndraWorks for programming their hardware. Each hardware company may incorporate just the CoDeSys basics or some or all of additional modules that CoDeSys has for engineering, CNC, Safety etc.

Hope this helps explain things a little better.

Yes it does alot. Thanks

These days I program almost exclusively in rexroth flavor codesys whether it be in Indraworks engineering, or CtrlX Works.

Different companies basically take vanilla codesys and put their skin on it, but the bones remain the same. It is capable of using all your standard IEC61131 languages and more.

Its more common in Europe than US for sure, but if you're open to getting familiar with a new programming system there's no reason it can't do what you want it to do.

I have a Raspberry pi running codesys at home that I use basically for homebrew projects, and its amazing what that little thing can do for a 10$ piece of hardware, and a 60$ license(runtime shuts down after 2hrs unlicensed and you have to manually restart). For science I created an ethercat master and connected to some remote IO, and it worked fine, and actually capable of super high clock speeds. Includes Ethernet IP scanner/adapter, I just dont typically use them.

https://store.codesys.com/en/codesys-control-for-raspberry-pi-sl.html

Great!
Yes it seems incredible for what some of this does for so cheap

I am a huge fan of CoDeSys based environments. Having worked with WAGO's older stuff based on CoDeSys 2, not to mention I also worked at Beckhoff, and became quite familiar with TwinCAT platform, and the CoDeSys components used in TC2 and TC3 for their PLC functionality.

It takes some effort, and depends a lot on what kind of PC you can utilize, but If you are looking for a nearly free test PLC option the following is hard to beat.
I like to keep a spare PC running Windows 10, (Win 7 would work too), with TwinCAT 3 XAE and XAR installed. From this PC I can use TwinCAT test plc code ideas and even use it to diagnose EtherCAT hardware.

For Ethernet/IP specific access...
There are two packages for TC3 TF6281 (Scanner) and TF6280 (Adapter). These are functional using 7-day trial licenses. You can generate 7-Day trial licenses as often as needed, and most of the functionality is available without having to source hardware, save locating a suitable spare PC.

Regards,
Patrick

Thank you.
Sounds great, recirculating 7 days trials.