S7-1200 vs ML1400

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Given that most of our business is done with Siemens hardware, there aren't many occasions that an AB PLC is used.
However in one of our latest retrofits we used a Micrologix 1400. It was a good surprise as it packs quite a lot of features.

Pros:
1. Base units with loads and mixed IO.
2. Three com ports 2xserial & 1xethernet.
3. Competitive price.
4. Onboard display.
5. Robust and light programming software.
6. Loads of special functions (hsc, pto, pwm).
7. Loads of memory.

Cons:
1. Programmed only using Ladder.
2. You need to stop the cpu in order to download changes.
3. Needs a battery for memory backup.
4. Non removable terminals for the IO modules.
5. No Profibus.

All in all I think it is a great PLC which we will use more often.

The Micrologix 1400 will allow PLC code changes with the system running.

The two main reasons that I use the Micrologix 1100 or 1400 is that they allow online PLC code changes and they have an Ethernet port build-in

My vote goes to Siemens but that's just personal preference combined with bad experience with AB (or with bad coding I had to work with). Will substitute one soon then I'll look into it more closely.