Schneider M340 PLC Bricked?

scantime

While in the midst of transferring a program to a Schneider M340 PLC, Ethernet communication was lost and cannot be re-established to the PLC. The lights on the front of the PLC are as follows: Red, solid ERR light, red solid CAN ERR light. Has anyone ever seen this, and would you have suggestions to see if it's recoverable?

M340.jpg

try USB

we had to send one back recently because we changed the address of an extended backplane (with the dip switches) and after that the CPU wouldn't talk, same thing just the ERR light left on.

it was with PV 13 SV 2.5 RL18 DOM1340 and unity 8.

support said
The symptoms you describe are usually the result of having an extension rack configured and the PLC can not communicate to it. The communication issue can be a result of incorrect placment of terminatorrs, incorrect addresssing or the cable connected in reverse. The only way to clear the error is to remove the XBE from the main rack with the power off and re-power the PLC. You should be able to communicate throught he USB port at this time and reload the program.

but we couldn't get it to go again...

I have had something similiar with 3 cpu's last year. I suspect its a firmware problem.
1st of all you need a usb programming cable. Then switch power of to the cpu. Then remove the sd-card from its slot and power on. After it has loaded then push memory card back then only will you be able to connect. Then download the program to the sd card and toggle power again for cpu to load the new program (Download only if you have the same problem as me listed below)

Has this program been running for a while or is it a new program downloaded?
What I found to be the cause of my cpu freezing was that the cpu locked up everytime I switch an output coil on with no address (internal memory).
I did the above whilst removing a section of code everytime and downloading until I found the section. And all 3 times it was because of what I mentioned.
Schneider also couldnt help me until I found one tech that had the same problem

Last edited:
I have had something similiar with 3 cpu's last year. I suspect its a firmware problem.
1st of all you need a usb programming cable. Then switch power of to the cpu. Then remove the sd-card from its slot and power on. After it has loaded then push memory card back then only will you be able to connect. Then download the program to the sd card and toggle power again for cpu to load the new program (Download only if you have the same problem as me listed below)

Has this program been running for a while or is it a new program downloaded?
What I found to be the cause of my cpu freezing was that the cpu locked up everytime I switch an output coil on with no address (internal memory).
I did the above whilst removing a section of code everytime and downloading until I found the section. And all 3 times it was because of what I mentioned.
Schneider also couldnt help me until I found one tech that had the same problem

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Removing the SD card did the trick..

I would just like to add that it has to be something in the code that is triggering this cpu fault. If this happens again try to find out in what step the process was when this happened. It could be an algorithm fault (dived by zero or overflow) or something like what I mentioned