Temperature Control with TwinCAT 3

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all -

I have a project coming up where I need to control oil temperature within a tank. The heaters are 480 VAC and will be pulse width modulated to keep the PV at SP. I'm new to TwinCAT so obviously by looking at their temperature control function blocks, it looks to be painful. Maybe it just looks more intimidating than it really is?? If someone with real experience with TwinCat and my application could provide real examples and simple terms in explaining the temperature FB (inputs, outputs, what wires to here, and what wires to there on the FB) would be helpful.

As a second option, an off-the-shelf controller may be an option for this application. Any suggestions on that would be helpful as well. Needs to be able to apply to my application, Ethernet comms at the very least if not EtherCat, have to be able to input the temperature SP from the HMI and read the PV from the controller.

Much appreciated for any and all suggestions and input.

If Beckhoff is anything like B&R (and I'm assuming it is) then most of the stuff on that function is optional and will be fine at zero or default. Generally, all you need to provide are P, I, and D "gains" which you would typically determine using auto tuning (may be built into the one function or a separate function) and then saving in permanent memory. There is probably a separate PWM function that will take the output of the temperature control (which I assume will be 0.0 to 1.0 or maybe 0.0 to 100.0).

All the rest of the parameters are for if you have very specific needs or stringent requirements for over/under shoot, multiple interacting zones, dual acting heating/cooling, etc. The kinds of things a standard Watlow can't do.

You don't have to use all the parameters of a function block. You can use what you need and either delete the rest or assign "spare" variables to them.

Twincat Temperature Controller function is pretty easy to implement for your mentioned application.

Temperature control is good possible with a simple LOGO, or other small one.
It must have a analog input possibility.
There is a small display on it and you can put a setting on it.
No need for PID and expensive control. it is a simple heater.

However if it is for learning
check www.oscat.de for some explained and editable PID controls.
check codesys.com for libs that can be used (util.lib)
and yes when asked i can send them as ST file, so you can study them.

start simple and make it on/off
then add a pulse timer and make it slow PID.