download parameters to powerflex

realolman

I feel like I should know this but I don't... how can you download all the parameters like maximum frequency etc to a powerflex 4 or 40?

thank you

Use a program like Drive Executive . It is possible From software . Rockwell have an example AOI for The SM2 module for Contrologix 5000 which will read and write to these drives . Reading the code used in this example should give you some ideas .

I'm sorry , I'm at home and can't give you a link .

Paul

Use a program like Drive Executive . It is possible From software . Rockwell have an example AOI for The SM2 module for Contrologix 5000 which will read and write to these drives . Reading the code used in this example should give you some ideas .

I'm sorry , I'm at home and can't give you a link .

Paul

Or use a HIM from a similar or replacement drive or backup HIM.

Assuming you have rslogix 5k v17 or later you can use studio 5000 if I am not mistaken. I have only used it with the powerflex 525 so someone correct me if I am wrong.

I feel like I should know this but I don't... how can you download all the parameters like maximum frequency etc to a powerflex 4 or 40?
Download from what? "Download" means to move the information FROM a program used to create a file INTO the device like the VFD, REPLACING the programming that is in it. If you have a program, like Drive Executive or Connected Components Workbench, where you have entered all of the parameters, that same program is used to download them to the drive. How you connect to the drive to accomplish this is a hardware issue with regard to the device running that software and what kind of communications interface you are using in the VFD.

Or are you asking how to COMMUNICATE to a PF4/40 with a PLC to change parameters inside of it? Different subject, needing a lot more info.

Assuming you have rslogix 5k v17 or later you can use studio 5000 if I am not mistaken. I have only used it with the powerflex 525 so someone correct me if I am wrong.
No, you are not mistaken (or yes, you can do it).

For a Powerflex 4 or 40 it is easiest to enter them manually.

If you have a 22-comm-E Ethernet card option installed in a Powerflex40, and the IP is set, and the drive shows up in the Device Tree in RSlogix5000, and it communicates.... then you can set the parameters with RSLogix5000.

Again it is easier for me to do it manually then be annoyed by the software.

jraef;609850]Download from what? "Download" means to move the information FROM a program used to create a file INTO the device like the VFD, REPLACING the programming that is in it. If you have a program, like Drive Executive or Connected Components Workbench, where you have entered all of the parameters, that same program is used to download them to the drive. How you connect to the drive to accomplish this is a hardware issue with regard to the device running that software and what kind of communications interface you are using in the VFD.

Or are you asking how to COMMUNICATE to a PF4/40 with a PLC to change parameters inside of it? Different subject, needing a lot more info.

we stock several (10-15?) powerflexes with different parameters for different applications... that someone programs by hand when they are shipped to us and are stored, along with a paper listing the parameters and are marked for the application.

The other day I wanted to use one temporarily, knowing that I would have to put it back on the shelf with the original parameters.

We have, for example, bar code readers ...for which , using free software, you can save on your computer as many different parameter listings as you like for different applications and download them into the readers, programming the readers with maybe a hundred parameters in about a second.

I have a few cd's that came with the RSLogix 5000 that I don't know what they are for ...net worx and a couple others that I can't remember... Kep ware or something

I have often thought it would sure be nice to be able to download all the necessary parameters into the VFD ... maybe without even powering up the vfd... and maybe something on one of these discs was used to do that, and it was sitting there in front of my nose all along

with all the goofy safety regs these days, a person is probably supposed to be wearing some sort of moon suit to power up a vfd and program it on the bench

Anyway, what it seems like I am hearing here is that I might as well continue to program them by hand.

thank you

Realolman,

We have probably about 45 VFDs for different parts of the plant, and we just keep the standard settings on them and change them manually when installing.

Try to save all the parameters on a piece of paper with the prints and store them in the cabinets, but they don't always last.

As for powering them up on a bench, the new PowerFlex 525 series allows you to take the faceplate off and connect it view USB to your PC and program it that way. Just snap it back onto the 480v base.

Like jraef said, you can use drive executive or connected components to download / upload parameters via DS-i or ethernet.

Last edited:
You can get Connected Components Workbench for free as a download from AB.com, tht will do what you want. You will likely need a comm cable of some sort however, and on most of the older ones you will need to power up the drive to do it. If your PC does not have a serial port (a thing of the past now), get a 1203-USB cable, it will work with any PowerFlex drive. It comes with two heads because the connectors at the drive might be different, so don't throw anything away.

We have about 45-50 of these in our plant. When they go out we get a new one off the shelf, install it then set the parameters.

As part of our PM program, weather its a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly PM, we have it printed on our PM work cards, and the mechanic puts a check mark stating that there is a copy of all current parameters, schematics, and the A/B book that came with in the inverter box for troubleshooting the fault codes in the control panel.

If we do a spot check on the PM that they did and the paper work is not in there, but they checked that it is in there they get written up for falsifying paper work.

This is why it is easier for me to manually loading the parameter. I know that the settings will be in the panel and don't have to go searching for them.