Lowest Priced Processor for RS Logix 5000

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I would like to keep RS Logix 5000 has my primary PLC software package. I have many old standalone machines around that have proprietary boards in , that I would like to replace with PLC's. I don't want to spend a lot of money. What is the lowest priced processor package that I can use with RS Logix 5000 ?

Thanks so much for your input.

Compactlogix L1.
It allows you to install a few Point IO modules in addition to the onboard IO.
And then use Point IO for distributed IO in general, also for bigger projects.

In this way you can keep everything within RS Logix 5000 and scale from smallest to biggest with the same IO platform. Only the CPU changes.

The 1769-L16ER-BB1B (cheapest L1 series controller) is $1,490 list. You'd have to talk to your distributor to see if your company has a discount.

-Benaiah

You also need to make sure that whatever processor you decide to get is compatible with your version of RSLogix 5000 (what firmware will the processor have?). With that said, RSLogix has been replaced with Studio 5000 so it stands to reason that any new Logix PAC that you buy will have firmware that won’t be compatible with the version of RSLogix you have. It’s also worth noting that RSLogix 5000, unless it was pre “Factory Talk”, will require a renewal every year (which isn’t cheap). Unless you’re looking at a “one time” thing (no upgrades or new PAC’s in the future) you might want to re-think your strategy.

It’s also worth noting that RSLogix 5000, unless it was pre “Factory Talk”, will require a renewal every year (which isn’t cheap)

Keep in mind that you only need to renew the subscription if you want to get the latest release of Studio5000. The current versions that you have will not "expire" when your support contract does. So if you have the current release now, it would be a good number of years before you're forced to upgrade due to new PAC's not supporting this version of Studio5000.

-Benaiah

I use the 1769-L18ER as the base for all my current machine level equipment. I get these less than $1700. I suspect you can get an L16 for less than $1500.

If I need a processor for less money than that I jump down to a ML1400 or ML1100. The time you save programming typically makes up the cost difference between the two platforms in my opinion.

If you are doing machine level projects or other smallish applications and think you may ever use Ethernet, need a decent io count, or need the large memory I would not hesitate to jump to the compactlogix 5370 platform.