Allen Bradley PV "Version Incompatibility"

Burch

I'm attempting to install a new application in a PV1000.

Getting a message, ERROR: Cannot open project due to version incompatibility.

I'm guessing I need a firmware update?

Thanks,

Burch

Is this a PanelView Standard (2711) or a PanelView Plus (2711P) ?

I general, yes, you probably need a firmware upgrade for the terminal.

Do you know what firmware revision the terminal is running currently ?

I'm sorry its a PanelView Plus

One last question, I did a little digging, and can not seem to find the current firmware installed. My memory has failed, because I though there was a way to check?

Thanks again,

Burch

I don't have a terminal in front of me to check, but I think it's in the configuration menus under Terminal Settings, maybe "FactoryTalk View ME Station" settings.

In general, a newer PV+ can run an older *.MER runtime.

So if you have access to the FactoryTalk View Studio software, just create a Runtime with the appropriate firmware to match the terminal, or older.

If you don't have access to the FactoryTalk View Studio software, you'll have to try to figure out which revision it was created with, and upgrade the terminal to match. This opens up the can of worms about the difference between the PV+ and the PV+6 hardware.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about how to determine the "version created with" for a FactorTalk View ME runtime file. I didn't follow it but it might be helpful to you.

So the basic task is to figure out exactly what you've got: look at the exact part number and the sticker on the terminal to figure out which version it was shipped with, at least.

If you have access to the configuration menu, then go to...

Terminal Settings -> System Information -> About RSView/FactoryTalk ME Station.

I would flash the terminal to the firmware of your new application, but you could alternatively save your new application as an older version compatible with the current firmware on the terminal.

This terminal can be flashed to version 5.10 max. So if your new app is higher than that you'll have to use plan B above.

Regards,
George

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about how to determine the "version created with" for a FactorTalk View ME runtime file. I didn't follow it but it might be helpful to you.

I think this is the thread you're referring to, Ken:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90313

In it, dmroeder posts a link to a vb app he created that can tell the "created in" version of FT View ME mer and apa files, as well as RSLogix5000 and Autocad files. Pretty handy tool. V1.2 i think was the latest rev he had up.