FactoryTalkView ME Users and Groups

jmcdonald02

Hi all,

This topic concerns FactoryTalk View ME v6.10.00 (CPR 9 SR 4)

While going through the Factory Talk Security System Configuration Guide (Pub. FTSEC-QS001D-EN-E-June 2011 to be precise), I was following along in the step by step concerning how to set up users and groups.
('ve never set up security before, and since I'm doing something that will allow string entry directly into the PLC, I didn't want just anybody mucking around with it.)

In the section about assigning permissions, it mentioned something about inherited permissions.
While the guide did say that "breaking the chain of inheritance complicates administration"... I do not recall anyplace where it said "checking the do not inherit permissions will wreck your day."

Being a rather curious type, I checked the "do not inherit permissions" checkbox for the (I believe) Networks and Devices branch, clicked ok or whatever the equivelent was, and I no longer have "groups"... only users.

What's worse is that I seem to have lost administrative permissions.
By that I mean that I cannot add a user, or change permissions at all.
A big ugly popup stating:

"Uable to save changes. The security configuration you have specified denies the Administrators group Read or Configure Security permissions. The Administrators group must always be granted both of these permissions."

The problem is, there are NO groups... I feel I've broken my toy and I don't know how to fix it.

Help?

Hi jmcdonald02,

You should go for Factory talk administration console.
Also check you are logging into your pc/laptop with administrative rights.

Ani,

I am the sole user of the laptop and am administrator.
I'm not sure what you mean by "go for administration console".

I had everything just fine until I checked the "do not inherit permissions" checkbox.

Now, I have no "Groups" folder under "Users and Groups".
Only "Users".
I can no longer change or set permissions.

When I try to change permissions, I get the message I posted previously.

Attached is a jpeg of what my "security settings for users" looks like.

Note that the only user is the long name that starts 495F2E33... which was NOT there before.

My user name is gone, and I cannot add it.FTV Security.jpg

Ani means try adding your users back in from the FT Administration console (Start>All Programs>Rockwell Software).

Not sure if it will help you or not though.

I did a similar thing setting up FTView on a new VM - I'd enabled security, but then changed the name of the VM and the security was tied to the computer name. Couldn't remember the old name to change it back! In the end I cut my losses and reinstalled FTView

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry!

ASF, Thank you, that gave me a shove in the right direction.
Haven't ever looked at administration console.

Ani, it looks like you gave me the right answer, I was simply too ignorant to understand... thank you also.

It looks like my FactoryTalk View comes up "Local", but my user groups I was working with previously were showing up as if I were logged in under "network".

It seems that is where my confusion lay. Network vs. Local FTView Login.

It isn't catastrophic, I can still develop, edit and download applications... I just want to set logins for sensitive areas of the HMI.

Any conversation on the topic of local vs. network login would probably be helpful.
In the meantime, I'll continue to plug away at it..

Thanks