Micrologix documentation

wdd0422

Hey everyone,

If I have a version of a program but it does not match what's in the processor how do I upload without writing over the documentation? It's a Micrologix PLC.
Thanks

You can simply open up RSLogix 500 without opening the offline file and do an upload.

I would suggest you use the comparison feature (under Tools-Compare) to compare the two program. Something simple data difference would cause the program to declare a difference in program when in reality they are basically the same.

They could be essentially the same program, in which case you will want to use the old documentation (because otherwise you will have only the bare-bone instruction addresses). Without symbol descriptions and rung comments, the program could be hard to figure out.

Right Lancie, thats what I'm trying to avoid. I'd like to upload the program from the processor and then import symbol descriptions and rung comments from the old program so I can then go online and troubleshoot the machine. I know there are differences in the programs because it prompted me when I tried to go online.

1. First upload (with no program in computer memory);
2. Then Import from the old stored program.

PS: Because you were prompted while trying to go online does not mean that there are any significant differences between the PLC program and the stored version. It can be something like a differnce in 2 data values that Harryting pointed out, or simply a program that was stored at a different time.

To spot major differences, use the Compare function that easily lets you see and step through the differences one at a time. You can also sometimes tell by looking at the program memory size, the number of subroutines, and the last "B3" or "N7" bits used in each program.

Last edited:
When you upload the program, does it give you the option to create a new file using the descriptors from another file - then specify the file that has the correct descriptions.

This whole issue can be avoided by using a PLC/PAC that keeps the documentation in the controller instead of on the programming PC! There are a number of PLC brands that store the doc't.