Rio to DH+

dlweber

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering (kind of a two part question) if you can use the DH+ on a SLC5/04 and the a RIO scanner at the same time.

The current setup is all RIO, however I have a EZTouch panel that is not playing well. I have never worked with RIO and the bit I have read on here about it, I wish not to work with RIO. At this time I cannot totally get away from RIO because the robot uses it. But if I can I would like to hook up the panel to the DH+ port.

Second part of question if this is doable one of the tags in the panel program has what I believe to be a block transfer tag BTW0010-0, how do I find this tag in RSLogix ( I have used the search function and found nothing) and change it to an address so I can use it over DH+.

If the SLC5/04 has a RIO scanner (1747-SN) then yes you can use both in parallel, RIO for the robot and DH+ for the panel. That is actually the most sensible solution.

You have to migrate the panel program made for RIO to a panel program made for DH+.
That will take a bit of investigating, since the RIO method uses block transfers as an intermediary step. You should be able to find out what the adresses are in the SLC5/04 program. You must find the BTW and BTR instructions in the SLC5/04 program. In the parameters for BTW and BTR there will be a "data file".
The data file(s) may actually be yet an intermediary step, since RIO BTW forces you to pack all the data into one block. The real addresses may be somewhere else in the program.

When you have found the real addresses that are to be used in the panel program, you should delete the BTR and BTW from the SLC5/04 program.

Thanks for that.
The BTW/BTR files, are there separate ones for each device or can two devices be within the same file. The worst thing I could do is delete some of the robots instructions when trying to get rid of just the panels block transfers

It is described in the instruction list for SLC500. And also the manual for the 1747-SN.
You should really study it closely for everything related to RIO and BTR and BTW.