Before i get started....

Davek0974

I'm on the brink of starting a machine rebuild, it has sigmatek plc in it which is useless and fails regularly. We are going to rip that out and fit another PLC that we can program ourselves.

In the past I have used an AB SLC503 unit and have one sitting here with tons of I/O boards and an HMI unit - seems silly not to use it.

I have the RSLogix 500 software plus panelbuilder 32 software still.

The only part I am unfamiliar with is the stepper control unit - 1746-HSTP1, this machine needs to talk to a ServoStar601 drive using step/direction signals to command a feed to feed X amount of MM of material.

Does anyone here have any examples of using this module that could offer advice?

Thanks

Hmm, maybe not,

I got the plc hooked up, managed to get my trusty laptop going but rslynx will not talk to the plc.

The red FLT led is flashing on the plc plus intermittent comms LEDs but no comms??

This plc has not be been run for about six years, do they die from lack of use or have I forgotten something?

What is the cable you are trying to use to connect?

If you are sure you have the correct cable, try resetting the CPU to factory default...

Pull the CPU and disconnect the battery, on the back side short VBB and GND, this will reset the CPU

What is the cable you are trying to use to connect?

If you are sure you have the correct cable, try resetting the CPU to factory default...

Pull the CPU and disconnect the battery, on the back side short VBB and GND, this will reset the CPU

It's the original AB cable, still got the tag on it.

I did do a factory reset as described, no change, the manual says the led will stop flashing when a simple program is loaded but I can't load a program due to no comms.

1747-CP3 ?
1747-PIC/1747-C10 ?
1747-UIC?

Will your 5/03 show up in RSLinx ?
Correct comm port?
Will RSLinx AutoConfigure?

Cable faulty? Can you try another cable?

How long did you short VBB and GND? It may take a bit.

Last edited:

I did do a factory reset as described, no change, the manual says the led will stop flashing when a simple program is loaded but I can't load a program due to no comms.

EDIT: First make sure there is no memory module installed.

Are you connecting to CH0 or CH1?

If you defaulted the processor to factory settings, the baud rate should also revert, but to what?

Depends on the firmware and possibly hardware levels, but nonetheless, RSLinx *should* Auto-Configure the baud rate for CH0. As always there is a caveat. Some USB to serial converters do not play well with the timing of RSLinx Autoconfigure. For those substandard devices, they may still work fine once configured, you just have to click seven or eight times to try the possibilities in order of prominence (in my limited experience):
1200 (uhm, maybe it was 2400...try them both... crs setting in).
38.4k (had one 5/04 that would revert to this and should have gone to 19.2k to talk to the HMI)

Also, it is possible for the serial port to be set up for "user" (ascii) mode, but I haven't had one get stuck there after defaulting it.

For CH1, realize that is in DH-485, it requires a special DH-485 interface device which may include a cable. Do NOT ever connect it to Ethernet ports you want to keep from smoking. Once you have proven you have the right gear, then you can plug it into the DH-485 port and try both baud rates. I have only seen the lower one used one time in 18 years.

Flashing RED Fault and occasional blips on the comms LEDs are both very good signs but it is possible the port you are using is fried.

It never hurts to repeat the process of yanking the battery and shorting the cap (VBB to GND) for sixty seconds one more time.

Last edited:
Thanks all, all pointers lead to doing another reset for a longer period and maybe deleting the harmony files off the laptop then trying again, will do this Monday.

I'll also get the lead tag data and try another lead if reset fails.

The plc did show up in rslynx with a Red Cross through it but in my goofing around session i deleted the node so will need to start afresh.

I'm off until Monday now do won't get any more updates before then.

On the 5/03 use the DB9 bottom port, you will need a 1747-CP3 or a null modem (cross over) ether will work, if you are using a USB adapter some work work others not so good, the driver in RSLinx will be RS232/DF1

Just in case its been a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIu1AGUR4N8

The top port is DH485 and you will need a UIC, if you are using one then see the top links here http://www.plccable.com/comm-support-videos/

Either way let us know how it works out for you

Best regards
Mark

The plc did show up in rslynx with a Red Cross through it but in my goofing around session i deleted the node so will need to start afresh.
That is nothing to worry about. The red x meant RSLinx was not "seeing it" anyway. 90% of the time it will reappear automatically once communication is established. Occasionally you may need to refresh that driver view by clicking the driver name, collapsing and expanding the list of nodes, and I think there is a Refresh menu option somewhere too.

Most likely, that SLC with the red x was a different one last accessed by that particular PC. But if it reappears with a red x again while you are connected to this one, it may indicate an intermittent cable connection.

Last edited:
All sorted, popped in to work and brought it all home, I gave it an overnight with the battery disconnected then set up a new comms channel in rslynx and it all played together again :)

Managed to withe and download a simple program, cleared the cpu fault and went online, all working well.