Windows tablet to program

jtashaffer

Has anyone used a windows tablet to program a plc? If so what brands? with what software? How was it? Is it better to stick with a laptop? What are your opinions?

Stick with a laptop with real ports. Tablets are toys. I use a Dell XPS with the 17" screen and a huge battery - it is heavy but with all power saving stuff the batteries last about 3 hours. Over toys! LOL

Stick with a laptop with real ports. Tablets are toys. I use a Dell XPS with the 17" screen and a huge battery - it is heavy but with all power saving stuff the batteries last about 3 hours. Over toys! LOL
I agree that!
Here are 3 displays, sometimes I use 4.

VIEW2.jpg

I got one to support my customers... it worked fine I also added the key board to it, make sure you get one with a USB port as I dont think all offer the option

I do have to agree, I would not get it for every day troubleshooting/programming

I bought mine from Microsoft... get the latest greatest because it will be old news tomorrow http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us

Also get the Pro version, its a must

I'm not aware of any PLC programming software that is designed for tablets. I doubt that too many of them would work well without a bluetooth mouse and Keyboard, and at that point you might as well have a laptop anyway.

PLC manufacturers were mostly about 2-3 years late supporting 64-bit operating systems, do you really think they will be jumping on the mobile bandwagon?

I agree with genius though, from what I've heard, the Surface Pro 3 is generally considered the best Windows tablet, but mostly because the keyboard accessory (yes, it is extra) allows it to mostly function like a laptop.

Rockwell just came by last week and did a presentation, the newest version 24? is supposedly compatible with windows 8.1 including tablets.

There is a difference between software that will run on a tablet, and software that is designed for tablets. Many of the PLC brands will probably allow you to install the software on windows 8.1 or 10, and some of them may even test it first. However, as far as I know, all of them expect you to use it with a keyboard and a mouse, like a normal PC, not with the touchscreen.

I've tried using a lot of standard desktop apps on a tablet style computer, and it usually just feels kludgy. On tablets you are used to gestures, things like swiping, pinch to zoom, etc. You use the on screen keyboard instead of a physical one, and you use your finger or a stylus instead of a mouse. Most desktop software includes little to none of these design ideas. Buttons are often too small to click with your finger. The onscreen keyboard often covers up the box you were trying to type into. Gestures do nothing.

I don't mean to discourage you, just take this as a caution. If you buy a tablet, and want to use standard windows programs on it, I would recommend trying the program for a bit on a tablet before relying on it. When I got mine, it didn't turn out quite as awesome as I imagined it would.