yamaha robotics

irondesk40

Curious, anyone used any of the products. Have a vendor bringing them in tomorrow to demo some servo control rodless cylinders etc. and going to try and convince me to use them instead of Control Technique.
Big sales push is that they have a drop in instruction for control logix, which is great but most of what we have is micrologix.
have had good success with the micrologix 1400 and using the Control Technique HMI (red lion) and communicating from the plc to the Unidrive through the HMI.
Any advantage to a drop in instruction and switching to compact logix? Most of the stuff we have done the last couple of years usually has about 30-40 i/o points and 3-4 analog outputs so the cost of the micrologix compared to the compact logix has been a huge reason why we have never switched. When you building 50 or more machines at a time it makes a big difference as far as cost. I have purchased the RSLogix5000 but have not had a chance to install it yet due to all the stuff we trying to get done before the holiday breaks.

The new CompactLogixs are very attractively priced, just a little bit more than an ML1400. Worth it IMO.

Check your private messages.

I agree with TConnolly. Especially with the new Compact Logix processors with onboard I/O and power supply, I'm starting to use them more and more over ML1400. And with drop-in instructions, there are definitely significant time savings to be made. I obviously can't vouch for your exact situation, but for me I usually find that on any system that's more complicated than a few motors and discrete I/O, the time I'll save having pre-built instructions is enough to balance out the slightly more expensive hardware.

Earlier this year I put in a system using a smart SEW distributed drive system. I spent a good few days developing an AOI to control it, but I've got another project coming up with the same system, and now I'm going to save that 2-3 days right off the bat. Just drop my instruction in and I have full control over everything the system has to offer me without any new programming. I can imagine that you'd find a similar thing, especially if that initial 2-3 days of work has already been done for you by the supplier!

I have been using Yamaha for several years with good luck. I do not use AB so I can't tell you anything about the AB blocks. We use mostly SCARA robots but we have a few linear XY robots running. No mechanical failures that I know of and very few other problems. I have had a couple bad I/O type problems but I think we were to blame. The Yamaha software is basic type programming. I find it very easy and simple. Here in the US they are sold by PHD and are located in the same building in Ft Wayne. They have top notch people and are very good to work with.

Who is the rep bringing in the Yamaha? If it Chris Elston make sure you give him a hard time for me.