[Twido] protected application

marcius

When I try to download program from twido plc protected application error pops up and downland doesn't start. What does this message mean?
PLC is pretty old around 7 years. Is this version mismatch or something else?

remark.png

I am not familiar with Twido, however I would guess that the person who put the program on there (or someone modified it later) put a password protect or another form of locking on it. If the program was put on by a manufacturer it is not uncommon for them to lock you out of their program.

That is what I thought at first too, but there is no prompt for password input, just this message.

In order to access to protected Twido PLC, you have to have original source. With original source you can monitor, run and stop PLC.
With original source and password you can do anything.
Twidosuite will ask you for password if you have original source and you want to change something.

That is similar to what I was thinking, I was going to say it isn't always a simple password some times it is a special version of software or a certain piece of hard ware ( I have seen this done in other applications I assume PLC's can do the same). In this case according to goghie it wants the source code on the computer you are connecting with.

If it is a program that came with a purchased machine it sounds like a manufacturer is telling you to stay away from their proprietary program and call them to work on it so they can make more money off you. Not at all uncommon we have a line of machines that we cannot access or change the PLC. Requires a manufacture licensed tech to come in and manipulate the program.

I see it as a good and bad thing that they do this. BAD: cost more money and lead time for diagnostics is longer. GOOD: keeps curious minds from sticking code into a running machine to "improve" its performance

That is similar to what I was thinking, I was going to say it isn't always a simple password some times it is a special version of software or a certain piece of hard ware ( I have seen this done in other applications I assume PLC's can do the same). In this case according to goghie it wants the source code on the computer you are connecting with.

It is IEC requirement. You can monitor application if you are authorized and for changing you need additional authorization.

Thanks for replies.
This was a plc that cntrols lift bridge, couple traffic lights, couple motors, nothing two complicated.
So i figured it out without plc program.