Rick

rikster_2

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm trying to upload the logic from a GE Fanuc Series 90 Micro PLC (IC693UDR005FP1).Here is what I can do: go online,offline,monitor stop and start PLC upload configuration "config. equal"This is what I have tried: logicmaster LM9030 ver. 9.05 VersaPro 2.04 Proficy 5.50Windows 7, then XP, and then 2000 all with 9-pin serial portsHorner cable (cant read the number anymore) with 2 green leds RX and TX on the 90 degree end with 15-pin male d-sub and 9-pin female d-sub on the other endbuilt a "cheater" cable9-pin 15-pin2------------------123------------------105------------------77&8 jumper 6&15 jumper4&6 jumper 8&14 jumperall combinations yeild same result ------ communication error only when uploading logicsame issue with a second PLC (same model)I just need to add a pushbutton and a 2 position selector switch.

Sounds like the cabling is fine and its just your procedure doing so... I would stay away from LM90, but the other two you should be OK

Do you know what the program was wrote in? I have heard if its LM90 you can have issues uploading

You need to create a folder, see this post for VersaPro from Steve helping me way back when... http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=239789&postcount=3

LogiMaster LM90 problem

Steve Bailey is very knowledgeable on the LogiMaster LM9030 software. Maybe he will see this post and jump in. Somewhere, maybe even on this site there is a diagram of the "cheater" cable you mention. I will try to find it and post it here in your thread. Personally, I used the older computers running Windows98 which handled those old DOS based software programs much easier. Win XP Pro might work..

Edit:
Here is the link, see post #4, maybe it is the same as what you described.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=79726&highlight=90-30

Last edited:
Post #2 has even more information:
Everything you need to know about GEIP serial cables:
http://forums.ge-ip.com/showthread.php?p=60395

If you can go "Online" and Start/Stop the processor there is nothing wrong with your cable or communications setup. It is more likely that there is a discrepancy or abnormality in the Micro PLC it may be just a version issue as these Series 90 Micros are really old.
I have not run into one that the logic could not be uploaded unless it was locked by the developer. But the development software 'should' give an appropriate error if that is the case. BTW what error are you getting?

I get the same error with VersaPro 2.04 as with Proficy 5.50

Error 8097

Other information:
firmware in PLC is 2.01
level 4 access

You will probably need an older version of Logicmaster. Version 9.05 was the last version. Some of the old firmware versions are limited to the software versions that were current at the time of their release. I've run into this a few times on very old 90-30 models. I'm not sure whether or not the same holds for the Series 90 Micro.

The data sheet for that firmware is GFK-1094J. It says the minimum Logicmaster version is 6.01. If you check later versions of the data sheet (the last letter of the publication number further along the alphabet than "J") you may find some reference to subsequent firmware levels and Logicmaster version compatibility.

I tried version 9.05 without success. What version older than 9.05 would you recommend? Also, where would I be able to obtain an older version? I'm sure a firmware update isn't possible without destroying the logic? If I could just upload the current logic from the PLC, I would then retype it in something newer.

It's also possible that the program is protected by an OEM password. In that case, it is not possible to upload the program at all. That explanation is consistent with your description because the OEM protection does not extend to I/O configuration and you said you could upload the configuration. The help files for Machine Edition list OEM protection as one of the possible causes for error 8097.
To check, connect to the PLC with VersaPro, expand the "PLC" menu and click on "Status Info". The click the "Protection" tab to find out if there is an OEM password assigned. The OEM password is one level higher than Level 4.

According to post 6 http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=619178&postcount=6 it is at Level 4 which allows full access.
I am sure that the firmware is the issue here, I have run into it on several occasions. I donot know for sure which Version of LM90 would be best but a good guess would be that an early or pre version 5 is needed as IIRC, that is where a major change in the compiler was done.

I've always understood the OEM password to be one level beyond Level 4. You have to be at Level 4 to set or change the OEM password. If there is an OEM password in place you have to be at Level 4 to be able to enter the OEM password which will then let you view the program.

I did verify in versa pro that level 4 access and oem protection is unlocked. An older version of LM90 software makes sense with version 2.01 firmware. I get the same results on both PLC's (IC693UDR005FP1) using versa pro, proficy, and LM90-30 ver.9.05. Cables (horner and homemade) provide identical results........................So I guess next thing is to try LM90 version 4????? Where might I find it? I didn't see anything on GE's website

Oh, and by the way thank you Steve and Russ for all of your help. I really appreciate it.