Delta HMI to control Moog Animatics Smart Motor

Davev2005

I´m working with a Delta HMI (model: DOP-B07E515) and Moog Animatics Smart Motor series 5.
I need to communicate both devices and send & get positition values and display at HMI.
Any help are welcome!!
Regards.
Dave.

The series 5 can do Modbus, I think the Delta HMI can as well. The Smartmotor will only support limited Modbus access through its 485 port so you will need a converter.

Animatics site has the latest class 5 manual - there is some Modbus info. in there. I tend to use Red Lions HMI's a lot which have an Animatics driver. I haven't had a chance to try out the Modbus support.

Can you explain a little more about Modbus protocol?
I expect use RS-232 port to comunicate with Delta & Animatics, RS-485 is already use for other device.
Really appreciate any help!!
Regards.
Dave

It sounds like you may be out of luck. The Smartmotor can only use the RS485 port for Modbus. I hsould have asked but I'm assumming you're using one of the 'D' series motors (with the large/small pin type Molex and DB15 ports).

Is there any chance of using another HMI? Like I mentioned before, Red Lion has an Animatics driver on all of their HMI's and can also act as a gateway between multiple devices. I carry the Delta line as a distributor and would still much rather use a Red Lion HMI.

After going through the manual, it seems you may be able to talk to the Animatics motor with the communication macro function. GETCHAR and PUTCHAR functions could read and write values to/from variables in the motor. This could be done through the RS232 motor port and you wouldn't have to configure the port for anything special.

Sending an 'RPA' would cause the motor to report back it's current 32-bit position. You could always create your own command to scale before sending out.

To cycle a macro continuously, look at the 'background macro' functionality.