Thermistor to PLC

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have eight remotely-mounted thermistors that are part of an air handling unit (two units, actually). We have replaced the old Delta Control units with a PLC that we can program & troubleshoot in-house. Outside air and room temperature sensors are RTD type, but I just realized that sensors internal to the AHUs are thermistors.

I know I can use a universal signal conditioner to change the thermistor "signal" to a 0-10V or 4-20 signal, but I would need eight of them.

I'm hoping someone knows of a multi-channel thermistor input device capable of modbus communication.

Also, I've had good results in a previous project where I used one available 0-10V input point to connect to several RTDs using an eight-point relay output card. I'm wondering if, perhaps, I could do the same sort of thing with a single signal conditioner. The original project didn't require rapid response, so I would cascade through the relay outputs, one at a time, holding each closed for 10 seconds. All output COM were connected together and were connected to the universal signal conditioner. The last reading was considered "good" and was maintained until the next cycle, 60 seconds later.

I have eight remotely-mounted thermistors that are part of an air handling unit (two units, actually). We have replaced the old Delta Control units with a PLC that we can program & troubleshoot in-house. Outside air and room temperature sensors are RTD type, but I just realized that sensors internal to the AHUs are thermistors.

I know I can use a universal signal conditioner to change the thermistor "signal" to a 0-10V or 4-20 signal, but I would need eight of them.

I'm hoping someone knows of a multi-channel thermistor input device capable of modbus communication.

Also, I've had good results in a previous project where I used one available 0-10V input point to connect to several RTDs using an eight-point relay output card. I'm wondering if, perhaps, I could do the same sort of thing with a single signal conditioner. The original project didn't require rapid response, so I would cascade through the relay outputs, one at a time, holding each closed for 10 seconds. All output COM were connected together and were connected to the universal signal conditioner. The last reading was considered "good" and was maintained until the next cycle, 60 seconds later.

AB's Micro 820 says it will support 4 thermistor inputs on the embedded IO. Not sure about linearity or resolution though.

They cost about $200.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro820

You can even control them with your plc, or via 4 relais or with some resistors direct making 5 volt from the 24 volt. (i would use some optocouplers.
and yes it is only one simple IC, placed on a small PCB.
you can take a look at arduino, also for the rest of the controls, you will be surprised by price and possibilities.
you can use a XTR105 to make the RTD or NTC, PTC signal 4-20 mA.
power supply of the board can be a simple 24 volt connected to a 7805.