I want to build a small network, but I'm a bit lost

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a Powerflex 4 drive and an SLC500 5/05 set up in a rack. I want to set up a small network to control the drive with DSI to start with, and maybe add a PanelView later.

I'm just a bit confused with all the cabling, network modules and and so on. What comm modules or network devices (such as a small router) would I need to scrounge up to begin working on this project and practicing using a network? I have a 1761 ENI Ethernet/IP module as well. I also have some micrologix PLCs laying around.

Start your drive with a VFC - not into this type of networking for control - too many problems when something goes wrong in the middle of the night. A twisted pair is easy to diagnose.

I want to set up a small network to control the drive with DSI to start with,
You mean to control the drive via Ethernet/IP ?
As far as I know, an SLC5/05 cannot control devices via Ethernet/IP.
A 1761-NET-ENI is also not an Ethernet/IP device.

To start learning about control networks such as Ethernet/IP is a good idea, but it seems you dont have the hardware for it.
If you just want to connect via Ethernet for HMI and programming, then you dont need special hardware to do that.

Thanks Jesper, that is kind of what I was afraid of. Makes me kind of sad, I really want to get into a project like this :(. I have been reading quite a bit on ControlNet, but I'm to a point where I need some hands-on if I'm going to learn anything.

So I also just realized we have a bunch of commander SK drives. I noticed most of our VFDs have an RJ-45 jack on the front. "IN GENERAL" is this jack just for modules, or can you plug straight into it? I was thinking that since our commander sk drives are a bit newer, maybe their RJ-45 has ethernet by default.

In general, an RJ45 right on the front face of the drive is plug in a small HMI unit to more easily setup the drive parameters (if you're into entering them all by hand) or upload/download parameter files with a hand held programmer. Such ports can't typically be used for anything else.

If there are two ports side by side, they are most likely communications ports there for easy daisy chaining of the drives, though these are typically not on the front face of the drive.

Also, just to be clear, DSI is a serial protocol (like Modbus RTU). Rockwell drives use an RJ45 style connector to connect the two wires, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with ethernet based protocols.

Also, the port on a PowerFlex 4 drive should also be able to be configured as a Modbus RTU Slave device and the SLC5/05 can be setup as a Modbus RTU Master depending on the firmware. If you don’t have the needed firmware the SLC5/05, unlike the SLC5/03 and SLC5/04, can be upgraded via a firmware file.
The other thing to consider, depending on the I/O available on the SLC5/05, is controlling the drive via its I/O input. I’ve done this several times and it works well. The PowerFlex4 should have discrete inputs that control “start/stop” and “direction” as well as an analog input for speed control.

Also, the port on a PowerFlex 4 drive should also be able to be configured as a Modbus RTU Slave device and the SLC5/05 can be setup as a Modbus RTU Master depending on the firmware. If you don’t have the needed firmware the SLC5/05, unlike the SLC5/03 and SLC5/04, can be upgraded via a firmware file.
The other thing to consider, depending on the I/O available on the SLC5/05, is controlling the drive via its I/O input. I’ve done this several times and it works well. The PowerFlex4 should have discrete inputs that control “start/stop” and “direction” as well as an analog input for speed control.

I'll see about using Mobus RTU for sure. I have no problem controlling a drive with discrete IO's, this is simply a learning exercise for me to push myself to do something new and learn to use additional instructions and systems. I'll dig into the powerflex manual and see if there is any additional module I need to install, as well as with the Emerson. Too bad I work nights and never get a chance to talk to our automation guys, they could likely answer a lot of these questions for me.