FTV ME Tag addressing

bright676

I am stuck making tags for my panelview plus. I have seen some examples here with brackets around them but don't understand why they are used. The 700 page manual doesn't really say why either.
As a example I am trying to write a tag to a bit B3:0/3 which is the on/off bit in a flip flop. I had no problem making momentary switch but I can not find any easier to under stand instruction.
Can you guide me in the right directions with this?
Thanks a bunch.

If you have communication configured (online or offline) with an AB PLC it will usually generate tags from your PLC program.

What looks like "Tag_name" in the PLC,

Would look like "{[PLC_Name]Tag_Name}" when its added via the tag browser in FTView ME.

I think its a communication then. I'm using ethernet and I can make and send objects to my pvp.
I can see the i.p. for the pvp and the 1761-NET-ENI/B which is connected to my 5/04 in Linkx, so I beleive the communication problem is from the pvp to my 5/04.
Any ideas where I should look next?

Yes, but I want to learn how to make my own tags, thus that is why I want to learn how to write them.

Yes, but I want to learn how to make my own tags, thus that is why I want to learn how to write them.

What do you mean make your own tags?

Basic rule for FTView: In the tag dictionary, the device addresses are just [COMMS_PATH]Element [MY_PLC]N7:1

Anywhere you are using a tag to read or write information, it should have curly brackets around the whole thing {[MY_PLC]N7:1}

------

For the record, although FTView allows "Direct Tag Addressing" (meaning you don't need an entry in the tag dictionary), I do not allow it here on any project, as it virtually destroys reusability and maintenance, and also loses a lot of functionality.