High level device for liquid tank

iggy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am looking for a device that can detect high level in a tank that holds liquid (hot) wax. I have not worked with any systems that have liquid, only dry.
This would be the HIHI, or "oh crud" device.
If I could get some idea's or links to sites I would really appreciate it.

I don't have all the information, I would say that the product should not touch the lvl detector. I was looking at laser probe, but I would be afraid of build up on the laser from the wax. I am not sure about the stainless.

I have had a lot of good luck using Banners Ultra Sonic sensors for level detection.

http://www.bannerengineering.com/en...-Sensors/498/U-GAGE-T30UX-Ultrasonic-Sensors/

I use them in our waste-water system and liquid product tanks. Once they are calibrated to your tank Low and High levels you could also have a nice display on your panel that shows actual tank level, you can set the "Oh ****" level with a comparator in your logic. I Have not had to work with liquid wax in a tank before so I'm not sure if there is any Wax mist inside that could cause a buildup. If the tank overflowed, you would have to clean off the sensor for sure. Best to contact Banner to find out if it will work for you.

Maybe free space guided radar? E&H FMR245..They have a newer model out with a different PN but this should get you something to look at.

http://www.us.endress.com/en/Tailor-made-field-instrumentation/level-measurement/20206

HTH
+1 on the wave guided radar. I did this for wax tanks at a pressed fire log plant, it was the only thing that survived. Make sure to only use Stainless Steel versions as well, lots of corrosion from condensation at the top of those tanks.

+1 on the wave guided radar. I did this for wax tanks at a pressed fire log plant, it was the only thing that survived. Make sure to only use Stainless Steel versions as well, lots of corrosion from condensation at the top of those tanks.

I have used Ohmart/Vega GWR's for level measurement in high paraffin crude oil tanks. I am currently testing a Magnetrol GWR also with good success so far.

Load cells. For challenging fluids it is hard to beat a load cell for non-contact measuring.

I think Kistler-Morse makes one that will bolt right on the tank legs, no need to get under it.

Last edited:
Load cells. For challenging fluids it is hard to beat a load cell for non-contact measuring.

I think Kistler-Morse makes one that will bolt right on the tank legs, no need to get under it.

Years ago I worked at a scale company that put load cells on hot wax storage tanks. Issue was when tanks emptied cold wax coated sides of tank changing zero weight of tank.

I have worked with KM before in the past and their issue always have been temperature changes effect readings

Can you look into tank with window

Some of the laser sensors out there can look thru window, Top access from tank, look down pipe or tube so no product will get on window.