rs232 or ethernet AB1400 to maplesystem

atvracer

ok I'm setting up a new system

AB1400 with a 10" maple system HMI

what the pros and cons of using ethernet or rs232 to link them together
trying to decide witch way to go?

they are mounted about 4ft apart in two different steel cabinets

making a cables and configuring them is not a problem. i am currently programing them both using the ethernet right now i just want a long term reliable link

i thinking about going with the rs232 its just a little more work

thanks

RS232. Shielded cable. On some series, there is a lower cost 10" without Ethernet.
Defaulting to RS232 leaves your options open.
Leave Ethernet port open for programming or network/Internet connection.

RS232. Shielded cable. On some series, there is a lower cost 10" without Ethernet.
Defaulting to RS232 leaves your options open.
Leave Ethernet port open for programming or network/Internet connection.

I'd much rather leave the RS232 port open for programming. Its easy to add a switch and i can program both the PLC and the HMI over the network. I can then use the RS232 port if there is a network issue. Ethernet is also MUCH faster. Ethernet also has cheap more commonly available cables, especially since most of the Micrologix family use that round din connector. Its all a personal preference really, and unless you are having a screens with lots of tags, it won't matter.

DF1 is a great protocol but I’d still use Ethernet. You can put in a switch so that you can connect to both the PLC and HMI without interrupting the communications between them so that’s not an issue. Using Ethernet leaves the DF1 port available for future use if needed.

thanks for the input ethernet is a lot easier i was planing on switching to RS232 but now i may stick to what i have already setup

thanks aging