RSlogix5000 Freezes

chrome4ever

OK, really need some help and hoping someone else has had this issue before and found a solution. I have pretty large program with several Flex I/O racks running on a 1769-L33ER processor as version 20.13. On my laptop I can pen the program and be online and working within 8-10 minutes. From 2 different desktops it shows I'm online but the I cannot do anything or even select anything. It's is like Logix is frozen. I have let it sit like this for up to 2 hours and still frozen. RA tech support has done multiple webex sessions and cannot figure it out. All 3 computers are Win7 Pro 64 bit, all 3 have the exact same installation of Linx & Logix. I've tried uninstalling Linx & Logix but no luck. One of the desktops I setup without antivirus to see if that was the problem but it didn't make a difference. I'm desperate at this point and hoping someone here can help.

To me, if your using an Ethernet connection, it sounds like your network router is not allowing comm's to pass through - something your IT department may have to authorize on the router.

Some thoughts for you.

1. what virus software are you using? we had to turn off the firewall and network threat protection for our systems to work.
2. when you say all 3 pc's have the same version & rslinx. Does that mean they have different serial numbers and activiations or are you running off the network using only (1) license?
3. what is the speed of your network and switch? older switches used 10/100 base t. our new switches are the 1 gig type.
4. dumb thought on my part but, do the pc's have different ip addresses?
5. could be that you are trying to send / receive to much data to the switch. there is a data tracking tool to help determine if this is happening within logix 5000. My partner uses it and has left for the day.
6. we had an issue last week and had to replace rslinx with an older version to make things work. Could be that there is a bug in the version you installed ( had that happen twice). I would go back 2 versions if possible and see if that helps.

regards,
james

When you can go online with the laptop, where are you? Connected to a switch local to the PLC or remote?

How about the Desktops? Have you tried connecting with either of them local to the PLC?

Thanks for the all the response. I'm going to try and answer all.

- Both desktops & laptop have the firewall disabled. One of the desktop didn't have any antivirus installed (as a test), the other 2 have the same antivirus installed. All 3 are connected to the same network switch. The laptop works every time. Neither desktop works.
- All 3 have the same versions of Logix & Linx using the same activation via a license dongle.
- Network is all 1Gb with Cat6 cabling throughout
- Desktops and laptop all have different IP addresses but are all on the same subnet as the PLC
- I originally had about 3 versions oolder of Linx on all 3 and Rockwell tech support recommend upgrading to the latest version. Same result laptop worked and neither desktop did.

I believe the problem is with your dongle.
shut down all 3 instances of the software, and remove the dongle.

put the dongle on each pc and see if it works.
then shut down the software and go the the next pc.

also, since the dongle works on the laptop, look at the settings on the other 2 pc's and see if the activation software is set up for a dongle.

if I am not mistaken, when you get all of them running individually, you must move the dongle from one pc to the next after you shut down the software.

regards,
james

OK, really need some help and hoping someone else has had this issue before and found a solution. I have pretty large program with several Flex I/O racks running on a 1769-L33ER processor as version 20.13. On my laptop I can pen the program and be online and working within 8-10 minutes. From 2 different desktops it shows I'm online but the I cannot do anything or even select anything. It's is like Logix is frozen. I have let it sit like this for up to 2 hours and still frozen. RA tech support has done multiple webex sessions and cannot figure it out. All 3 computers are Win7 Pro 64 bit, all 3 have the exact same installation of Linx & Logix. I've tried uninstalling Linx & Logix but no luck. One of the desktops I setup without antivirus to see if that was the problem but it didn't make a difference. I'm desperate at this point and hoping someone here can help.

Well, you could go OldSchool, and ditch Ethernet all the way, and just use the USB connection... that would tell a great deal, based on the ideas of PreviousResponders.

Do you have the ability to connect one of the desktops to another (test unit, portable) PLC you have lying around? Or move one of the desktops to the control panel & connect it directly to the PLC? (With a switch or crossover cable) See if RSLogix will communicate directly with the PLC.

If it were me, I would use the command prompt to try and ping the IP address of the controller. If you can ping it without any problems, the it's a Rockwell issue. If you can't the problem starts with your network settings on the desktops. At least then you would know what side to be troubleshooting.

This link will walk you through the process in case you or someone else needs help with using the command prompt.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

Since in his original post he says it shows he's online, then RSLinx must be communicating with it - so it should ping OK. It appears to be a communications setup problem with RSLogix5000 going through the network.

I am able to ping the processor without any issues. Even when Logix is frozen I can ping the processor as well as Linx shows the processor as active. The licenses are activated to my dongle (this is the small dongle that doesn't have built in storage). Software was originally activated on my main desktop. I copied the license files to my laptop and the new desktop we built as a test. I always move the dongle to whichever I'm working on at the time. But on my laptop, where I don't have problems, I can get online and work in Logix with or w/o the dongle plugged in.