Compactlogix to Profibus with Anybus X-Gateway?

Old No. 7

I'm thinking of using an Anybus X-Gateway with a Profibus slave device and an AB Compactlogix PLC. I could do everything with hardwired I/O, but the gateway would provide a cleaner installation and save a few bucks.

I watched a couple youtube videos which make it seem pretty easy, but I've been burned by that before...

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Hi

I have used this to connect a slc ab to a Siemens plc using the device net to profibus and it worked very well. Once you have the correct software and cable for the anybus it was very easy to setup. I did not setup the Siemens side but once the other guy had the gsd file he just dropped in into the hardware config
And it worked. I have the say it was setup in a hour or so and that was because there was two of us and we both had never set one up before

Donnchadh

Hi!

I've used the Anybus for some projects, and it seems pretty straight forward. I was using Siemens tho.

Mark - I considered the Prosoft module, but they cost 50% to 100% more so that's a bit of an issue on my shoestring budget.

While I have not set either of these solutions up, we had a major project last year which involved 2 German companies, and they both wanted to use Siemens safety PLCs and they also had to use Rockwell ControlLogix for the standard control (our specification), so they had to set up comms between Siemens and ControlLogix.
One company used the Prosoft module and the other used an Anybus Gateway. Both work well....
But the company that used the Anybus Gateway - maybe it is how they set it up, but transmission between the two is limited to 64 words, which is useless in the environment we are in, in terms of logging information. Latterly they offered to "upgrade" it to the Prosoft module, but of course too expensive for us now that the project is closed.

I'm thinking of using an Anybus X-Gateway with a Profibus slave device and an AB Compactlogix PLC. I could do everything with hardwired I/O, but the gateway would provide a cleaner installation and save a few bucks.

I watched a couple youtube videos which make it seem pretty easy, but I've been burned by that before...

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Prosoft has an Ethernet/IP to Profinet gateway, if your Profibus slave device supports Profinet.....