MP277 and PLC

Manoj M

Hello Experts,
It may sound very basic query but it is driving me crazy... I have CPU 315-2PN/DP, ET200S station and one MP277 touch panel. All of these items are on Profibus network being HMI and PLC are the end of newtork. My question is Do I need to define HMI panel in HW configuration...If yes then where can I set the profibus address of HMI, I mean is there any DIP switch setting. I was reading some of the forums and got an idea (may be wrong) that there is no need to drag and drop MP277 in HW config. I have worked on Siemens PLC before but not on MP277 panels. I cannot find HMI in my accessible nodes.
Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Manoj

No you dont have to add the MP277 into the HW config. That is only needed if you want to use the functionality with direct keys and fast switching of the led lights. Direct keys are keys that respond much faster if you want to have very precise jogging or something similar.

The profibus address and protocol used is set in the control panel of the MP277 under the "Transfer" option.
Make sure that the "enable channel" option is ticked and for convenience tick the "remote control" option then you do not need to set the HMI in transfer mode.
The dip switches is only used for changing between DP and RS485 look at the drawing on the back of the HMI. DP means profibus

If it is the latest node in the profibus network make sure that the termination is on!

Profibus networks need termination first and last in the chain. Usually at switch on the connector.

Last edited:
MP277 do not have to be in the HW Config of the 315 CPU.
But if you open NetPro, you should be able to see the MP277 connected to the same network as the 315 CPU. This is very important when an HMI panel is connected to a Profibus Network together with a DP master and DP slaves.

I agree ith jstolaruk that for a project where both PLC and HMI have ethernet, you should use ethernet rather than Profibus.

We almost have the same devices in my project last year. I used MP277 and cpu315 2 dp, et200 s and danfoss fc300. I'm using profibus in there communication and i used ethernet in downloading the program only after a series of editing in the HMI.

This is how i did; I integrated the wincc flexible project to simatic step manager project. Then i open the netpro, in the netpro i saw my simatic HMI station, i click on the HMI DP and connect that to the profibus. Then it works, but before that i configured correctly the communication in the wincc flexible project. The address of the HMI and PLC in the profibus, the baud rate and so on.

Hello Experts,
Thanks to all of you for your kind words.
Really appreciate your effort and time.

Many thanks
Manoj

The MP stands for MULTI PANEL the Siemens way of thinking is to connect the HMI on the left plug at the PLC "MPI" the standard MPI address is 1 for the HMI and 2 for the PLC. you can change this in the hardware config of the PCL and at bootup on the HMI usual baut rate is 184.5kb (relatively slow but reliable)and fi unplugged the PLC continues to run.
you can access several PLC simultaneously from one HMI via MPI (Multi Point Interface)

Your ET station should be plugged on the right plug of the PLC "DP" the addressing for this actually separate bus is up to your discretion from 1 to 125
the baud rate on this bus is usually 1.5MB and if disconnected the PLC will stop.

if you click on the CPU in in simatic manager you get a item called connections click on it and you can see your PLC ET station and HMI
click on the PLC MPI red square and drag it to the red line MPI bus
click on the PLC DP purple square and drat it to the purple line for DP bus
do the same with all your ET station and you are networked
regards

Alfons:reup:

Alfons. Your writings do not apply to a 315-2PN/DP CPU.
X1 port can be MPI or DP.
X2 port is Ethernet.
Manoj cannot be using MPI since his X1 port is already used with DP. Also, MPI is totally obsolete and should be avoided.

I repeat that Manoj should connect the MP277 via Ethernet.

You are right PN (ProfiNet)

You could use the PN for the HMI and than just pull at the connection item the green square to the green line for connection. So your HMI is connected via ProfiNet and not MPI (red line)

The DP for the ET stations provided remain the same as mentioned before unless your ET IM (interface module) is also PN than all is connected to profinet for connecting the same applies pulling the squares to the green line

I personally prefer to keep HMI link and Machine interface separate for network hierarchy. If you intend to link more than one PLC to an HMI it makes life easier!

Alfons

Last edited: