Motor Control Panel for BHS

Charbel

Dear,

My understanding for Motor control panel for baggage handling system is that it has breakers and protection and PLC, motor starters will be located on site near the motor and that is will be enclosed starters.

I have never seen motor control center (MCC's) serving Baggage handling system equipment. Since now I am preparing master specifications, I need to make sure that my understanding is correct. So to make it clear, I think better to substitute Motor control panel for BHS by Area control panel.

I really appreciate any thought on this.

thank you!

Charbel

IMHO it depends on physical location and layout.

If there are lots of small HP or Fractioanl HP motors in close proximity that also have a lot of other IO then a controlpanel with motor control and IO may make sense but I would have it seperate the higher voltage side for motor controls and lower voltage side of the cabinet for IO.

If it's just a lot of motors in one area and not much IO and the motors are mid to large sized then a MCC may be a better choice. MCC's nowdays can have the motors controlled over popualr industrial networks so this makes things easier.

Another thing to conside is on machine motor control and IO such as armor start from Alen Bradley. IMHO these are best when only a few motors and IO are needed in a location and there are not enough to justify a control panel or MCC or there is not enough real estate for a control panel or MCC.

On machine motor control and IO and MCC's provide better options for isolating single motors / loads for maintenance, etc. than a bunch of starters in a control panel do but it can be done that way also.

These are choices that are very project specific so it would be difficult for use to give you a hard answer here with the limited info we do or can have on the project.

have a look at vanderlande they have made very big solutions for bagage handling, look on youtube and see the examples.
Mostly a decentralised system is used meaning many cabinets all over the place serving 20 to 100 motors in one cabinet. depending on use they have a simple contactor, or a VFD if starting and stopping is needed, like a bagagebelt where you collect the luggage should start slow, as people are sitting on it.
same for scansystems where speed is controlled by scanner and space on collector.
The sensors are mostly standard components, so swapping is easy.
addressable sensors can be used, but due to serviceproblems it is avoided.

RS Asset Center and FT View SE

We just purchased Asset Center and we will be attending a class on it in early march. I was reading up on its setup and have a few questions.

We bought it primarily for it's revison features and did not tget the disaster recovery module becase most of our machines and cells are not networked. We have one server we plan to use for the maintenance dept and engineeirng.

Maintenance has 4 laptops and engineering has 3. We want everyone to use the asset center to keep good version control as it's horrible now.

Using FT security will mke sure the right people can get to the right things from my understanding.

I am not sure how we will secure FT view SE as we have SE station and SE distributed. How do we secure these? Our normal setup has the PC's autologin in windows and then start the application as we don't user users and passwords in our SE apps or the compyters they run on. Can they be secured with FT security and asset center like this?