AB 503s and 1500s + modems - landlines dumped us

Kos

Disaster! The texting service we've been using for years was discontinued. So none of our sites are sending out text messages anymore. As temporary band-aid fix I will look for a replacement company to offer a paid phone number that my land line modems can call to send the texts using TAP protocol, as before.

I'm looking for longer term solutions. Maybe one that would allow for our smart phones to call into the sites as well as get texts from the sites etc?

We use Allen Bradley SLC 503's and Allen Bradley Micrologix 1500's. We'd like to avoid needing DSL internet, or GSM modems at each site because we have to have the landlines there anyway for other systems. (though GSM is a possibility if nothing else will work). We have land lines at each site and use AB 9300RAPM1 (/B?) http://plcproducts.com/allen-bradley/modules/communication_module/9300-rapm1_bhttp://goo.gl/zxFDef

Last edited:
I’d bite the bullet and get an internet connection at the needed locations. Analog phone lines (dial tone and leased) are on their way out and digital compatible modems aren’t common place.

I’d bite the bullet and get an internet connection at the needed locations. Analog phone lines (dial tone and leased) are on their way out and digital compatible modems aren’t common place.
Ok so I guess your saying I would have to choose between a GSM modem, or, 1761-NET-ENI + a DSL line.

Well if I can find enough "digital compatible modems" on ebay I might go that route. Know an example of one of those parts?

I just started a new job a few weeks ago in water/waste water and I have seen at least a dozen Sensaphones. I have not looked any further than glance at the cover. At some remote water plants, land lines are the only thing the old timers can rely on.

How about a low cost SCADA package that does text to voice messaging over land lines (with the right modem)?

How about a low cost SCADA package that does text to voice messaging over land lines (with the right modem)?

A low cost SCADA package sounds like potential. I'm guessing it would work with a digital modem, DSL, GSM or something. Are there SCADA systems that would allow us to connect to the PLC remotely to reprogram it, as we used to?

I'm curious... So how would you wire up your SLC503s to send out text alerts? Do you use this for just status updates via a push notification. Or, do you have to call in to get a status update?

I'd like to have my 503s tell me something is wrong with our machines here after normal hours. A simple one-way communication would suffice. Something is wrong, or a fault has occurred, we send out a technician. Standard protocol for us anyways. Hands-on control. No remote control.

If I sound ignorant, it's because I am. :ROFLMAO:

So how would you wire up your SLC503s to send out text alerts? Do you use this for just status updates via a push notification. Or, do you have to call in to get a status update?
If I sound ignorant, it's because I am. :ROFLMAO:

admittedly I'm a bit of a noob myself but I can tell you the modem we use allows, 1)Dial in, 2) SMS messages out. Its the AB 9300-RAPM1/B

We do get status updates, effectively like one gets push notifications.

Last edited:
Is there any manuals available on this AB 9300-RAPM1/B you posted? It seems this an old and "obsolete" product and hard to find. I'm dealing with older and "obsolete" hardware now, so this might work just fine.

That MoIP you posted sounds interesting as well.

Its hard to find a good solid answer on this topic. It doesn't seem straight-forward and simple, using older equipment like I am, otherwise people would be jumping all over this thread.

Thanks for re-visiting this thread. I thought it was long lost.

Yeah I gave the thread a bump. I may be able to dig something up as far as manuals tomorrow.

What kind of functionality are you looking for with your old PLCs? Things like Texting, and dialing into the PLC from your computer and smartphone?

Sure. I'm open to hear whatever options are possible. A simple text out letting you know if a machine is faulted or not would be cool. Or, even a call in system to query a status. Basically looking for one way communication. Any two-way would be from the operator triggering a query. Having control of the PLC from the outside, remotely will not fly. Just A status update if a machine has faulted or has shutdown (offline)would suffice. At that point, a technician would be dispatched out for hands on intervention.

Hey there,

If your equipment can be set up as Modbus slaves (TCP or RTU) or if I/O can be used, you might wanna have a look at the Netbiter. There are both stand alone versions (WS) and cloudbased (EC).
www.netbiter.com

My 2 cents

Thanks Pudden, I'll have to take a look at that.

... A simple text out letting you know if a machine is faulted or not would be cool. Or, even a call in system to query a status. Basically looking for one way communication. Any two-way would be from the operator triggering a query. Having control of the PLC from the outside, remotely will not fly. Just A status update if a machine has faulted or has shutdown (offline)would suffice. At that point, a technician would be dispatched out for hands on intervention.
CeeDee, it sounds like this AB modem we were talking about would work well for you, I know it has for me until they started to phase out analogue dial-up lines on me. Heres the manual http://plcproducts.com//sites/pl/files/manuals/allen-bradley/9300-rapm1_b_user_manual.pdf

So now its just a matter of looking at and choosing between getting internet from either GSM or DSL. And choose between connecting my PLCs to the internet with some combination of AB modem, Modem-to-IP, AB ethernet interface.

Just gonna make some notes here for myself now that im thinking.

using GSM: PLC -> AB modem -> GSM modem -> GSM/GPRS service provider
using Modem2ip: PLC -> AB modem -> Mo2ip -> GSM or DSL
using AB ethernet interface: PLC -> AB ENI -> GSM or DSL

Thanks Pudden, I'll have to take a look at that.

CeeDee, it sounds like this AB modem we were talking about would work well for you, I know it has for me until they started to phase out analogue dial-up lines on me. Heres the manual http://plcproducts.com//sites/pl/files/manuals/allen-bradley/9300-rapm1_b_user_manual.pdf

So now its just a matter of looking at and choosing between getting internet from either GSM or DSL. And choose between connecting my PLCs to the internet with some combination of AB modem, Modem-to-IP, AB ethernet interface.

Just gonna make some notes here for myself now that im thinking.

using GSM: PLC -> AB modem -> GSM modem -> GSM/GPRS service provider
using Modem2ip: PLC -> AB modem -> Mo2ip -> GSM or DSL
using AB ethernet interface: PLC -> AB ENI -> GSM or DSL

I would strongly consider an AB ethernet Interface and connect to it with hard network connection ( Cable, DSL, T1, Etc.)or GSM. This would clean up and simplify things a bit.

Going PLC-> AB Modem-> Mo2IP-> GSM or DSL would be a nightmare to troubleshoot and there a lot of things that could go wrong in this setup.

If you do this project you own it so consider you sanity on this option.

An upgrade to a ethernet based 5/05 or a small ethernet ready compactlogix may also be worth considering here.

Price all the options and if it's a simple application the differece to upgrade may suprise you.