NI LabVIEW use

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a project I have been handed that involves several different input sensors for data collection and control. I have never used LabVIEW before. I am watching training videos right now as to how to use it. As I watch these videos, I have noticed that it appears as though the same end result of capturing this data, can be done on the RedLion HMI, for example. Can anyone tell me if there are any significant differences between HMI software and LabView? Thank you.

I don't know the redlion HMI, but the most significant difference with LabVIEW and everything else I know is that it is flow orientated. so, for example if you add 2 numbers, the add function will not be executed until both numbers are present.

Another thing is that in most applications, you run the program and visualization on a PC and use the NI equipment for data aquisition. This is probably what makes LabVIEW so powerful. Very simple to set up communication and logging, put data analysis right in the program and even simply add video and stuff.

I also like their huge resource pool and online support. I hate their prices tho.

The little I have worked with it, it is impressive. Its intuitive, if nothing else good can be said about it. After pending some time with it today, I was able to answer my own thread. Lol. Thank you for the reply. :)

A reason to use NI "PLC" is because its fast scan rate, they are incredibly fast.

You're spot-on. The processing speed is incredible. Also, I like the way it scans, with the data flow programming language. I am curious as to why this isn't used more than it is.

I think it is mostly used for data collection in research and such. We use it here at the University of Oklahoma for numerous things, that mostly relate to gather as much information as possible.

I also think companies like Boeing use it a lot for testing and so on.

It is pretty expensive if you look at it. Both SW and HW.

I think it is mostly used for data collection in research and such. We use it here at the University of Oklahoma for numerous things, that mostly relate to gather as much information as possible.

I also think companies like Boeing use it a lot for testing and so on.

It is pretty expensive if you look at it. Both SW and HW.

I see the cost being an issue for some. We use it primarily for data collection as well however, I was told by one of our engineers that they operated an entire bank of Vacuum Furnaces with it, where he was previously employed.