S7-315 PLC (CP343) and an SCO Unix server

rmontema

I am investigating the possibility of being able to communicate over Ethernet between an S7-315 PLC (CP343) and an SCO Unix server. The Unix server is already capable of Modbus TCP, but I have also found documentation on a SOFTNET-S7/UNIX product for communicating between these two systems. Before making any purchases or going further, I wanted to make sure that either or both of these communication methods were options for Ethernet communications between Unix and the S7. If they are both options, are there any documents, example code segments or other guides available that would be recommended for the Unix part of the implementation? Lastly, is it possible to use the Unix native sockets API for this communication rather than having to install additional software on to our servers? Are there other options that I may have overlooked?

Thanks