1756 ENBT problem

JeffPLC

Hello everyone,
I've been having trouble viewing my ENBT card from a remote location despite me entering the correct IP address and subnet. I can connect via 232 with no issues whatsoever and can even see another 1756 ENBT on the same network with a different subnet. I can communicate with the intended ENBT card by pinging it or entering the IP but no matter what I try, it doesn't show up in RSWho as an option. I updated the revision to 4.08 and still cannot see anything. It's really been confusing me as even when I change my static IP to the correct subnet and gateway there doesn't seem to be any viewing at all.
Does anybody have some insight on this? I'm stuck here without a paddle now at this point.
Thank you,

-Jeff

What's your IP and subnet, the PLC's IP and subnet?

Are you using Ethernet or Ethernet/IP driver in RSlinx?

If you are using EIP driver, try Ethernet Device instead and type in the IP address.

my IP is 10.6.0.131, the PLC is 10.6.0.11
both subnets are 255.255.255.0
I'll give that a shot right now but recently the "Host name" has been throwing me off a bit

oh wow... it worked. I feel dumb but thank you haha such a big oversight

I guess it really helps to cover all your bases but thanks for that needed push

from a remote location

You're probably using a VPN over the Internet, and the RSLinx "EtherNet/IP" driver uses a broadcast packet for browsing that will not pass through a VPN connection.

The older "Ethernet Devices" driver doesn't broadcast, which is why it requires you to enter the IP address. That's also why it can use a VPN network connection.

You're probably using a VPN over the Internet, and the RSLinx "EtherNet/IP" driver uses a broadcast packet for browsing that will not pass through a VPN connection.

The older "Ethernet Devices" driver doesn't broadcast, which is why it requires you to enter the IP address. That's also why it can use a VPN network connection.

Thank you for explaining it, it's funny how such a simple fix can seem so unobvious until immediately after.

Thank you guys!

The EIP driver will work over VPN as long as you pass it through a GRE tunnel.