Need help understanding terminal strip jumpers

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Afternoon- I have another beginner question that may seem silly to most. I'm working on a project in my garage and have festo block with 15 air actuated valves going to my relay output (1746-OW16). I'm running all of them to a terminal strip then to the output card, just want to make sure I'm grasping how to wire this correctly..

I run the DC+ to both VDC 1 and VDC 2 on the output card. For the terminal block where all my wires from the festo block are running to on the field side. Do I run one DC- to the terminal strip along with them and jumper all of them so when they run back up to the output card they are returning with the DC-?

I don't know why but I'm having a real hard time trying to figure this out..

http://www.festo.com/cat/en-gb_gb/data/doc_ENUS/PDF/US/VMPA-KMS_ENUS.PDF

IMG_20150218_114358276.jpg IMG_20150218_114407794.jpg

Do I run one DC- to the terminal strip along with them and jumper all of them so when they run back up to the output card they are returning with the DC-?

Yes, but the DC- ( DC common) does not connect to the output card, it connects to the common side of your loads. Connect it directly to the common of the DC power supply.

Last edited:
So for the Festo VMPA-KMS-H wires connect to the "Field side" of my little terminal block drawing. (There are 25 wires and I really know know what controls what solenoid on the block!) http://www.festo.com/cat/en-gb_gb/data/doc_ENUS/PDF/US/VMPA-KMS_ENUS.PDF

Another silly question but im assuming a pair of wires out of that 25 wire bundle control a single solenoid coil? or could it be just one wire for each solenoid?

I cant find much info on the festo other than the link i posted.

635011021687500000924.jpg

One wire for each coil (DC+), and only one wire for all the DC-. Your block can have up to 24 valves.

You must also look at the valve block pdf file, so you can understand how the wiring is done (which pin is DC-, which pin is valve 1, 2 etc.)

This pdf only tells you the connector pin number and the wire color.

Last edited:
So the 25th pin is going to be connected to DC common.. the relay output card will have the DC+.. So i could just run the remaining wires to the output card?

So the 25th pin is going to be connected to DC common.. the relay output card will have the DC+.. So i could just run the remaining wires to the output card?

Yes you are correct. If you only have 15 valves, you don't have to connect all of the wires to the output card. You can connect a few as spares but not all of them.