Panelview Plus Trend Sample Rate Limit

scarince

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have a process that happens pretty quickly......about 1.5 seconds of time per cycle. I want to collect data from an analog input and display it in a trend on a PV1000. In order for that data to be meaningful, I think I need to grab a sample every 100ms if not faster because it is very dynamic. I understand how to do trending on PV, but do not have it set up yet for this application.

My question is, what is the fastest practical speed I can expect to be able to log from the PLC to the data log model? I'm pretty sure it was never meant to be a high-speed data collection system, but I wanted to ask before I made the investment in setting it up.

If this is way beyond the ability of the data log model, then do you think I could "buffer" my data to an array and then play it back for the data log by writing my stored values to the pen tag at a rate slow enough for it to be displayed? I know this wouldn't be real-time, but that would be okay. Has anyone done this sort of thing?

Thanks.

Bill

I have done exactly that - collected data at the PLC's scan rate and then spoon fed the data into an array that the PV points to for the trend at a 100 mSec rate.