CIP messaging without PLC

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,

I am trying to setup the parameters in some Baumer mag absolute encoders on Ethernet/IP. Their damn manual is still in draft form but I'm figuring it out slowly.

Is there a way to send CIP messages without a PLC on windows? The manual uses Wireshark to read/write data it looks like but I can't quite follow it.

The manual provides instance/attribute/etc for the variables I need to change.

Help?

When I use RSNetworx for DeviceNet, there's a "Class Instance Editor" that lets you send simple CIP messages directly from the software. I don't know if there's a similar function in RSNetworx for EtherNet/IP,

The best tool for testing EtherNet/IP products is EIPScan. Several vendors re-sell it, but I think it was developed by IXXAT:

http://www.ixxat.com/eipscan_en.html

I think that an explicit message client was built into FactoryTalk View's driver set (RSLinx Enterprise) in v7, so if you have FTView Studio or a PanelView Plus those might do the job.

Each of those are licensed software, not free utilities.

The only free EtherNet/IP explicit message tool I know about is the "OpENer" project, and that's an Adapter class object only. You need a client.

I was able to use to get/set attribute single in a test environment with a single encoder.

On my machine network I cannot get it to work. I am seeing the following in the software (attachment). I cannot find any documentation for the software to figure out what the error code is.

2015-03-16 15_01_51-EtherNet_IP Tools from Molex Inc. is provided free of charge to ODVA.jpg

When I zoom in I really can't read the error. Is this the same PC, using same nic to communicate to production network, as done with the test network? Do you have wireshark? Does the tool put frames out (I suspect not), but Wireshark would prove it? Look for tcp port 44818.

Same PC..

I figured out the problem. The Baumer manual has a continuing issue with identifying which parameters are given in decimal notation and which are given in hex. I converted my some values to hex and others to decimal and all is good.

They are apparently editing their manual now.