Code templating

I wrote my own similar set of scripts that parsed the custom field from unity XML files and outputted text files in the wonderware database dump format that I could then import. One tricky part was determining the right thing to do when a tag was renamed.

I will definitely look in to the citect builder part as I am now spoiled from Allen Bradley land where I did not have to maintain the tag database in the HMI software. Schneider is going to have to come up with a better long term solution than this convoluted process though.

We have built our own using VBA and Excel. It does lot of the tedious work for us. Creates PLC tag files, description files, SQL exports, Wonderware Tag csv files, FTView tag csv files, standard logic...etc.

Works very well saves a lot of time, but it's a royal pain to maintain, primarily when less experienced people figure out to break it but not fix it. It's a tool that has grown over the years and works if you know how to use it, but we don't have all the error catching logic that should probably exist.

I've done stuff using python as well to create xml files for me, anything that is tedious and repeatable is a great candidate for automated scripting.