PLC Program Structure

fl452

Hello,

I am creating a PLC program for a fresh water pump station which will be based on downstream and upstream pressures. There will be several pumps in the station being controlled by VFDs. I will also be monitoring the pump station room temperature and door security. I am trying to figure out how to set up the PLC program structure for this. Does someone have experience with fresh water pump station PLC programs to provide direction on program structure set up? Thank you in advance.

Im sure the Process isnt too difficult to set up, But first we need to know more information. PLC and HMI and VFD Info for starters.

Thank You

I am using a Modicon M340,a Schneider Electric HMI and a local VFD manufacturer. I am used to RSLogix where I set up tasks, programs and routines but Unity Pro is a bit new to me though there are similarities. What kind of tasks, programs and routines are basic for this kind of task of a PLC controlling downstream pressures?

An M340 program is broken into sections
I would have the following sections
Plc status - rack io health and real time clock
Scada interface
Comms
Vsd control
Seq control
Simulation

Has the local water authority got any standards. Do they have any standard function blocks
I do a lot of work for our water authority and they have a large library of defined function blocks

I would also suggest that you look at function block programming rather than ladder. For process control and pid you will find it much cleaner and clearer to program
I use FB for almost all my programming

Thank you very for the direction. It gives me a starting point. I agree, function blocks seems to be better for programming this even though I am used to ladder. Best regards.