What Operating Sysyem To Buy?

bright676

I am considering buying a newer Toughbook But I am not sure what operating system to get.
The one I am using now is XP Pro but since it is no longer supported I want to get some thing newer. I have a feeling the Windows 7 is going a way soon.
The programs I will be using on it will be RSLogix, RSLinx, Factory Talk and other A/B stuff.

What operating systems do you use?

I use Windows 7.

I would recommend Windows 8.1. OK hear me out, folks.

I wouldn't actually recommend installing Windows 8.1, only make sure what you buy comes with a Windows 8.1 license. Microsoft does allow downgrade rights. Meaning if you have a Windows 8.1 license you can run Windows 7 and be legit.

When the day comes that you want (or need) to upgrade to 8.1 you already have the license.

If you can, get Windows 7 installed. Some companies are actually selling you a Windows 8 license and just install Windows 7, but I think some are still selling and installing Windows 7. It may be worth it to find out. If all else fails you can buy a Windows 8.1 machine and downgrade yourself.

Last edited:
Win7 is not going anywhere for at least 10 years...
Win8.1?...Meh...Looks too "Mobile" for me...
Win10, whenever it's going to show up in new machines, will be the last Microsoft PC operating system to ever be released.; after that we'll be using thin clients of cloud based OSs...🔨🔨

Go Win7 Pro 64-bit with confidence...It's as solid as they come...

I just bought a Dell with Win 7 Pro. If you buy Win 7 Pro, in most cases you also get a free upgrade license to Win 8/8.1 if you later decide to make the jump. I started to go Win 8 + VM, but chickened out at the last minute since I required 1920 x 1080 resolution there were several available with Win 7 Pro.

Windows 7.... it's the new XP. The bigger question is do you go with 32 or 64 bit version? I'm running 64 bit, and I've had some issues with AB software with it...I would recommend sticking with the 32 bit install if you have old software you're worried about running. Now you're running a lot of programs at one time and will need more than 4GB of ram, then it's 64.

Last edited:
Yes I will be going with 32 bit, I have all ready had issues with a 64 bit on 8.1 trying to open an older factory talk program, had to go through my tech contract to have it converted

I now use virtual machines for about everything, which makes the operating system of the host machine a moot point. I use Win7 Pro 64-bit on my host machine, but install the 32-bit version in my VM, and haven't had any issues.

I fail to understand why stupid automation companies do not get with it and keep up to date with OS developments.
When Windows Vista came out quite a few were never compatible with it and were even late coming to the party with Windows 7.
Omron software worked on 32 bit Vista 3 weeks after it came out and in 6 weeks it worked on Vista 64 bit. Great support.
Very few others can say that.
by the way I liked Vista and never had an issue with it - most grumbled about it - worked well for me.
After my grumble above I report that my Dell XPS 17 died recently - or the Ethernet card died. Certainly going to miss that screen - it was awesome - might send it away and get it repaired. It had Windows 7 x 64 bit as an OS. I needed a laptop in a hurry.
Could not wait for Dell to build one with Windows 7 x 64 bit on it so went and bought a HP Omen gamers laptop. Aluminium case, real grunty processor, 8 gig RAM, 640 gig SSD, Nvidia processor in addition to the mother board Intel one - the way it is these days. OS is Windows 8.1 x 64bit. Laptop is a ripper and belts along - only complaint was no Ethernet card but an Ethernet port on a USB 3 dongle - probably too thin to include an Ethernet card. The dongle works well though without any issues.
All USB ports (4) are USB 3 - great. Trouble is I lose one with the Logitech Wi Fi stick for my mouse and solar keyboard - so handy - no flat batteries but does not work after spilling red wine on it - buy another - and another with the Ethernet dongle - that is OK - bought a very small USB adaptor with 4 more USB 3 ports. That work very well too.
Had to get a shell to bring back the start button but that was fine.
Installed my Omron software and it worked straight away without any issues. Not surprised at all - they keep up to date.
Had to install the latest Schneider PLC and screen software in a hurry to get a job finished - decided to install in the OS as I was in a hurry. Rejected - 'do not recognise the operating system'! Here we go again - how long has Windows 8 been out? I fail to understand again - drives me nuts.
Delayed my return to the site and installed VM Ware with Windows 7 x 64 bit inside it - installed Schneider software - using up my allocation of installations rapidly. Finally got it working.
VM Ware (latest full version)runs quite well initially but when I open the Schneider software it all slows down rather dramatically. Adjust memory allocation up - gets worse - running slower - GRRRRR!
Schneider recommended 64 bit OS as the software runs faster - glad I did not install the 32 bit OS!!!
Also running several older programs on Windows 8.1 x 64 bit in compatibility mode back to XP including my CAD package and they all run fine - have not had an issue with anything yet - except inside the VM Ware box. I have only tried the Schneider software in it to date so may be being a bit harsh. Have not installed any of the others in the box yet as I am too busy and apart from 1 Schneider job they are all Omron at the moment.

Last edited:
Whatever you get Microsoft will be giving Windows 10 away for a free upgrade for 7, 8 and 8.1 users... so you will be using a subscription base OS in the future, so no more questions what OS should you get... you will just be running updates

Most users upgrade every few years, MS is looking at everyone updating the new OS once a year so they will be making a lot more money on people just updating the OS and not changing from one to another, not sure of the cost

I am waiting until Dell is installing it before I buy another system

Running Win 7-64 bit here with no problems....I run RSLogix 500, 5000, FactoryTalk Studio ME, Connected Components, NetWorx, etc. Also run Mitsubishi stuff as well.

I DO NOT run these in a virtual machine. Haven't had any issues with it at all...

32 bit only seems to be an issue with older factorytalk programs. I would just run a virtual machine with 32bit windows to get around this. Windows 8 and 10 for that matter are not necessarily supported by your automation software vendors (particularly AB). From what I understand they will run, but if you tell them your OS when getting tech support your conversation is over until you downgrade.

After the abuse my very expensive Dell mobile workstation has recieved, I purchased an inexpensive Lenovo Thinkpad for field work and have a desktop for everything else. If that thing gets destroyed I won't feel so bad.

Last edited:
Also another vote for Win 7 64 Pro for the medium term - its stable and I don't want to be bothered with OS headaches while trying to get work done.
I've got a bunch of RA stuff installed, Step 7, WinCC and Starter, Mitsubishi PLC & HMI, Automation Direct, Solidworks, Cognex In-Sight, some Keyence tools, ; none are virtual and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

I use W7 64 bit and have had very few issues. I have 32 bit VM's available for the few occasions where I need to update an old FTView ME project or something, and as harryting said there has been the very occasional issue with a USB driver. But the fact is, with the rate of technological advancement these days, no single OS is going to be able to cover all your bases. That's why we all use VM's :)

My 2c would be, get W7 64 bit and VMWare.