Fan Control

crashcow

Hi,

We're installing some vent fans in building A and want to be able to control them manually from building B. The control requirements are simply on/off/reverse. The two buildings are about 1km apart. There is a fiber optic communication backbone between both buildings.

After some research, I am thinking of doing the following:
  • Use fan soft starters in Bldg A containing a module that supports MODBUS TCP. Through this fieldbus, it's possible to start and stop the motor, read out currents and frequency, achieve info about warnings, faults, etc.
  • Use a desktop PC in bldg B running Wonderware HMI software, which will send MODBUS TCP commands to the softstarters
  • Use switches to convert from Ethernet to fiber (bldg B), fiber to Ethernet (bldg A) and then route the signal to individual starters.
  • Note: No PLC is used

My questions are:
  1. Will this work?
  2. Are there other alternatives I should look at?
  3. Would I be able to remotely login to the desktop PC to monitor and control the fans from another location if needed?

Thanks,
Bill

1. Yes
2. If all you need to do is turn the fans on and off, Wonderware may be overkill. You could accomplish the same thing with a small HMI panel for less money than the cost of a Wonderware license.
3. Yes.
3a. If you use an HMI with a built-in web server you could have remote access.

Would I be able to remotely login to the desktop PC to monitor and control the fans from another location if needed?
I agree with Mr. Bailey's assessments.

With regard to remote access, it could be done with a VPN that accesses the browser display or even wifi. If you're an employee then you should approach the IT people about implementing a VPN or wifi; the application warrants limited access. If you're a contractor, then the same caveat applies, but I've found it more of issue when 'outsiders' are involved.

Thanks Steve and Dan

Steve: Yes, Wonderware might be overkill. However, we will likely be expanding the system in the future with more equipment and possibly some automated control. How flexible would an HMI panel be compared to Wonderware for future upgrades?

Also, what is the cost of a Wonderware license? How many computers/users are allowed under one license? I believe I can get a 12" HMI panel for <$1K, but I'll need to double check if it has a built-in web server.

Dan - I will check with our IT about using a VPN connection.

Thanks,
Bill