non volatile memory recipe changes

realolman

I recently installed an M23 non volatile memory board in an 1756 L55 controller so that it wouldn't lose it's program if powered down for a long period

the machine operator is telling me that he has made some changes to a "recipe" that is in the machine and when he comes in Monday morning the changes are not there.

All the recipe does is store values into some arrays

Does changing a value get stored to the non-volatile memory? what DOES get stored there and when? I know I had to put the controller in PROG to get it there in the first place.

I certainly wasn't expecting this

thank you

The user program and whatever tag values were present in the program at the time that you did the STORE operation are stored in the nonvolatile memory.

They are only "restored" to the controller if a condition happens that matches what you have configured for restoration.

Usually you configure it to only restore on corrupt memory. So the controller would have to be zapped by a voltage spike, or be powered down without a battery for the old data values to be restored.

You can also configure the module to restore only when you command it to be done by RSLogix 5000, or *every time you cycle power*.

Go examine the Restore settings to see what you've got the system set up for.

It sounds to me like it's set up to restore always, and that there's a nightly power cycle.

thank you for your reply.

I am at home so I am going from memory.... I think it is set to go on power up

So if the operator changes values, They would be lost on power up?

Is there a way the operator can save changes to the non volatile memory from the Panelview?

The reason this was all done was because we lost the program several times even though we had a battery about like a motorcycle battery connected to the controller. That the controller lost it's memory seemed ridiculous to me, so I got these non volatile memories.

So now it's not going to keep the changes put into the controller through the Panelview?!? good grief I was not expecting that. the memory doesn't do us much good it we still have to keep the power on, and the operator can't store changes to it.... who comes up with this stuff???

Last edited:
Check the AB website there is some example code there. To read/write to memory on demand.

I have looked and can't find anything re: reading and writing to 1756M23 non-volatile memory with a 1756-L55 from a panelview

(or much of anything else useful re: a 1756-L55 )

Do you have a link or anything re: this?

thank you