RSLogix5000 v20 Lines of codes (rungs)

narcilla

In RSLogix5000 v20, is there a utility or tool to count how many lines of codes or rungs are there in a routine or program? I wanted to quantity the amount of work that has been done for a particular system and counting the rungs could be used as a rough indicator of such.

A very rough indicator, I would say?

If you have 1000 rungs with 2 discrete instructions each...

Or...

If you have 500 rungs with 6 discrete instructions each...

Or...

If you have 250 rungs with 1000 instructions made up of Discrete, Compute, Arithmetic, PID and Message instructions?

Which do you think would have involved more work?

If you have two programs with an equal number of rungs, the work contained within those rungs could vary significantly between the two programs.

Don't forget branches. Branches form part of a rung and so all your branching or nesting code would not be considered separately. This could be substantial.

The number of rungs used does not account for how many tags had to be created. Nor does it consider the amount of I/O Configuration that has been done.

The point I am making is that basing the amount of work done on the number of rungs used is not really a good basis to begin with, even for a rough estimate. The time taken to do work is usually the most effective method of quantifiction and costing. Also, controller memory used is another indicator you can go by for a rough estimate.

If you are a customer trying to quantify the amount of work done to second guess a programmer's bid or bill, then they will not accept any claims you make that they charge too much based on the number of rungs used.

If you are a programmer trying to cost work done, based on the number of rungs used, you could potentially be doing yourself a disservice.

Most, I'm sure, charge by the hour. The more complex the program, the more hours are spent. Billable hours are what most go by.

Regards
George

Never checked in 5000, but in 5 & 500 you can click on the properties of the project and it will show all time file was open for editing - if you don't leave it open overnight or when not working on it for periods that would be an indicator of how much time you have spent on it.

(Don't have 5000 installed on my home computer to check for sure.)

George,

I understand where you're coming from and sorry if I didn't specify that it's not going to be used for charging work. Its just to specify how many lines of code was required to implement a certain customer requirement.

Anyway, the questions still remains: Is there a utility or tool to count lines of code in a routine/program for RSLogix5000 v20 or even any version?

I dont know about a tool that will give you the sum of all routines, but... if you right click on a routine and select properties it will tell you how many rungs are in that routine.

BCS

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas.

I went jstolaruk route (related to Bering's individual routine property) and generated a report but making sure that only the concerned program is selected. Although its still in multi-page, the heading does show the number of rungs in each routine that I can add up. Would have been nice if Rockwell developed such a utility or tool just to document rung number :).

Last edited: