Add New Module Online

Zoldyck

Hi,

I have a question regarding adding a second 1756 ENBT/A Ethernet card online.

Recently, I tried adding the card, but I was greeted with a warning "creating new module online could affect running system".

Is it safe to add Ethernet card online while the machine is running.
I cannot afford to do a download, so what is the best way do without interrupting the system.

Thanks.

If you use RSLinx to assign the new card's IP address, you don't necessarily need to have it added to the I/O configuration of the program, unless you are connecting say Flex I/O through the card.

So if you're using it for an HMI or Scada network, just shove it in and configure it through RSLinx.

If you use RSLinx to assign the new card's IP address, you don't necessarily need to have it added to the I/O configuration of the program, unless you are connecting say Flex I/O through the card.

So if you're using it for an HMI or Scada network, just shove it in and configure it through RSLinx.

Thanks, I will try that.

Hi,

I have a question regarding adding a second 1756 ENBT/A Ethernet card online.

Recently, I tried adding the card, but I was greeted with a warning "creating new module online could affect running system".

Is it safe to add Ethernet card online while the machine is running.
I cannot afford to do a download, so what is the best way do without interrupting the system.

Thanks.

The warning is issued every time you "create" a new module online, whatever module....

The warning serves as a reminder that the initial "connection" to the module just might interfere with any high-speed (low RPI) communications taking place on the network.

If you don't have any "high-speed" communications going on, e.g. Motion Control, then it is generally safe to add new modules when the system is running.

If in any doubt whether you have any time-critical network comms going on, wait until the system is in a stable quiescent state (i.e. nothing critical running), then add your modules and accept the warnings.

Do you need to add the ENBT to the configuration ?? If this is just going to be a network bridge, then you most likely don't. The only necessity to add comms modules to the configuration is if the module is used for remote I/O, or for Produced/Consumed data.