Panelview Plus To Plc5

russrmartin

Does anyone have an example they could post of the addressing of a tag in RSview studio? I have a pushbutton and idicator that I cannot get to talk to my PLC5. I will work on posting what I have to see if someone recognizes a problem.

Russ

Did you notice "Failed to open COM4" at the bottom of your screen ? Some other communication drivers might use COM4 at the moment .

Last edited:
I've been warned(haven't played with it myself) that there are problems sometimes with getting the tags to work through a panelview plus unless you actually browse for the tags in the processor while online.

RSView Studio allows you to test-run applications on your development PC, or on the PanelView Plus terminal itself.

When you say that the PanelView "cannot talk to the PLC-5", do you mean when the runtime file is running on the PV+ terminal, or when you're doing a test run on the development PC ?

The "Local" tab in RSLinx Enterprise configuration defines the path between your controller and the development PC. The "Target" tab defines the path between your controller and the PV+ terminal.

I can see that you are using a 2711P-RN6 DH+ network card on the PV+ terminal. What connection are you using between the PC and the PLC-5 ?

Expand that status window at the bottom of the RSView Studio screen and see if there's anything but the COM4 conflict showing there. That's likely to tell you a lot about what's going on.

still

I have gotten back to this finally. First, to answer some questions you asked:

Tom, I haven't heard what you heard, but this is somewhat of a problem, because I cannot browse online to the bit level.

Allan, The com port 4 is an error that I have ignored. I myself am not using the serial port for anything. I did not setup this unit for an IP address, I assumed that that was done serially. I am talking to the panelview plus via ethernet.

Ken, I was aware of the local and target definitions. I cannot get the tags to write or read from the PLC in either mode. When I run them on the laptop or in the panelview, they act the same. When I set up my shortcut however, I select my DH+ driver. The local tab refuses to show the PLC5, but when I select the target tab, it does. I am unsure why I can't see the PLC5 with both tabs. The diagnostic window at the bottom simply says that there were problems reading and writing to the various tags on my screen. In short, I'm still stuck where I was. Any other ideas?

Perhaps I am too impatient, the changes are taking a second to update. The application is running and updating in the PV+ terminal. My big question now is, why can't I run it on my PC. As I said before, when I grab the shortcut ROLOC3, I never see the PLC5 on DH+ while on the local tab. What's really got me, is that if I open RSLinx and browse my DH+ driver, I do see the PLC5. What am I missing?

Last edited:
working

My application is now working. I am fast learning that RSView studio is not the most stable program. I finally got fed up with my OPC client not working and being unable to browse the PLC for my tags. It's amazing what one simple shutdown of this program will do. That was all it took for me to be able to browse for tags and get the application to work on the PC. Just a note for others reading, contrary to what Gerry suggested, I have not configured the PLC in the communications tab in RSView. I set up an OPC server and mapped it in RSLinx. I do suggest if anyone has problems using that after doing this that they shutdown RSView afterwards and reopen the project. Does anyone know if there are any newer versions of this software that perform better? I am currently using 3.10.00. Thanks again for the help guys.

congrats

I have heard that you need to define an identical OPC topic in RSLinx to make the thing work.
Does anyone know if there are any newer versions of this software that perform better? I am currently using 3.10.00.
I don't think there's anything newer than 3.10, which RSI have promoted as a panacea for all gripes about previous versions. In my opinion the previous versions were easier to use.

Going slightly off-topic now...
There's a RSI knowledgebase article recommending that people with RAC-6182 terminals not upgrade from version 2 to 3 of RSView Studio due to increased memory usage and no real benefit. However, purchase of the 6182 is now being discouraged, and the PanelView Plus is being promoted. But, you need version 3.10 for any PV+ that you buy today. How does one support existing 6182's and new PV+'s short of having two computers?

The 2.0 -> 3.10 jump isn't pretty, but it doesn't affect a very large number of customers because the original 6182's were not big sellers.

I just went through this with a customer who has about 80 of the older 6182's in service and wants to keep them at the status quo.

We settled on using VMWare to put a guest instance of Windows 2000 on his Windows XP computer. We run RSView Studio 2.0 in the guest instance to maintain the old 6182's, but run RSView Studio 3.10 in the host operating system as their main new project development environment.

Because the VMWare OS/app image is loaded onto a DVD, they can load into onto different PC's depending on who is in the field. It's a little time-consuming, but not as much as getting to a site and finding out you don't have the right PC with you.