HMI/SCADA Communication Performance

Archie

Has anyone ever tested and measured the maximum update rates of their HMI/SCADA software? The ControlLogix driver for AdvancedHMI is going through optimization for maximum speed and I was wondering if anyone had any benchmarks for maximum speed from the more common HMI packages.

For instance some of my measured results, a cyclical update of 1000 elements from a DINT array updates at an average of 55ms. A group of 10 mixed (non-array) DINT tags are cyclically updating at 7ms. These tests are done on a CompactLogix L35 and running over a wireless network from my laptop.

I had done a similar test with a popular OPC server and a popular .NET communication component. The update rates were about the same, but those were really only testing the driver and not the complete round trip to the HMI display. So I am wondering what can be typically expected from the big name HMI packages.

Schneider does this extensively in their tvda documents. They had some pretty clever methods for evaluating scada performance. Do you have any access to these?

Difficult to measure, since most SCADA (including your Advanced HMI) read those tags that are needed on current display , alarms , datalog . Thus what is required is only read by creating subscribing list . I have seen in VijeoCitect with 900 tags on ModTCP updating in 500 mSec .