Studio 5000, move data UDT

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have created a UDT in this project that I'd like to be able to use as a template for a series of machines:

unita of type udtvar
unitb of type udtvar
unitc of type udtvar
unit_general of type udtvar

I'd like to copy unit_general values into a, b, or c, however I cannot use a standard := or MOV command in ST. What would be the best method for copying besides setting each individual element of the UDT?

You need to use a copy command (COP). That should be one of the commands you can enter on the command line:

COP(Source, Destination, Length);

Keith

i'll give it a shot, thanks.

i just switched to adding a bunch of 'if ... then' statements in my logic, im not sure which would be more processor intensive.

The COP instruction is pretty cheap in terms of processing. There is not type checking or conversion. It is as close to a raw memory copy as AB has.

Keep in mind that "Length" is in terms of the destination data type. If you wan to copy one UDT instance to another the instruction would look like:

COP (unit_general, unita, 1)

This would copy all of unit_general to unita since the destination data type is the udtvar data type.

Keith

Last edited: