SLC 5/05 Ethernet IP

Wow, Robert, I was grumpy twelve years ago, huh ?

While newer SLC-5/05 controllers support messaging to ControlLogix and to some generic CIP devices using EtherNet/IP protocol, they cannot create a cyclic I/O connection.

And that's how those AMCI devices are designed to work, with a cyclic I/O connection to a ControlLogix family controller.

For example, you'll see the Generic EtherNet/IP Module object parameters on page 24 of the SSI Module user manual.

While it's possible to send Explicit Messages to the Assembly Object of those AMCI modules from an SLC-5/05, there's no guarantee they'll work correctly if there is no cyclic I/O connection established. AMCI might support that, and they might not.

With motion control devices especially, the 16-bit operating system of the SLC-5/05 also rapidly becomes an issue with the ability to do math on large numbers of position counts.

Wow, Robert, I was grumpy twelve years ago,

Maybe, but your point was crystal clear and you said it better than I ever could... sorry to dig up a possible old wound...

I wish EtherNet/IP meant EtherNet/IP. I understand the OPs confusion. Marketing failure? Technical failure - trying to make the protocol too flexible?

Class 1
class 3
io connection
ucmm
connected messaging
unconnected send

And on and on...

They will communicate with PowerFlex 70, 700 and 525 over Ethernet. But each drive eats up 2 connections. You use the same IO layout as using RIO.

Wait, what ? Do you mean the SLC-5/05 communicates with those drives, or that the AMCI devices communicate with those drives ?

The topic of using the PCCC Object in A-B drives with SLC or MicroLogix is a separate thing, and I have extensive experience and strong opinions on the matter.

AMCI does make a really nice resolver interface card for the SLC modular chassis. They have other interfaces too, but I have only used the resolver card and it is really easy to set up, and their HT-20 resolvers are probably bullet resistant.

I do know they are ball peen hammer proof. I had one guy claim he had a bad one that was intermittent and I could not make it miss a lick. When I got done with it, it was too ugly to reinstall, but we had hundreds of them in service so I donated that suspicious one to my test bench.

Wait, what ? Do you mean the SLC-5/05 communicates with those drives, or that the AMCI devices communicate with those drives ?

The topic of using the PCCC Object in A-B drives with SLC or MicroLogix is a separate thing, and I have extensive experience and strong opinions on the matter.

SLC500 with message read/writes