powerflex 4m cooling fan?

realolman

I have several powerflex 4m vfds on which the cooling fan does not run..

the powerflex 40 and 4 fans run when the vfd is running the motor... I gently stick a small cable tie up in where the fan is...

the PF 4M seems that the fans do not run...

is there a place to program something, a thermostat on them... I can't find anything in the manual except that it does have a fan

thank you

The fans just clip into the bottom and the wire just plug in. Take it out and maybe you can free it up, or if you have any old inverters swap them out.
I have never seen a parameter for the fan.

I just though it seemed odd...

the kinetix drives run the fan the entire time they are powered

The powerflex 40 and 4 run it only when the motor is running.

NONE of the 4M's ran the fan at all ( that I saw) ,motor running or not ... and they are the newest and cleanest ones

I though maybe they had a thermostat or something.

I just though it seemed odd...

the kinetix drives run the fan the entire time they are powered

The powerflex 40 and 4 run it only when the motor is running.

NONE of the 4M's ran the fan at all ( that I saw) ,motor running or not ... and they are the newest and cleanest ones

I though maybe they had a thermostat or something.

The fan does not need to run if the motor is not running. Many drives especially older models run the fan if they are powered on but many newer drives run the fan only when the motor runs and some run based on internal temp of the drive so it only runs when needed to save wear and tear.

The Allen Bradley Power Flex 755 for example can give you predictive data on the fan based on run hours so it can be replaced on a preventative maintenance schedule before it fails.

I would suspect because of the size range and cost range of the 4M that it only runs when the motor runs.

The fan does not need to run if the motor is not running. Many drives especially older models run the fan if they are powered on but many newer drives run the fan only when the motor runs and some run based on internal temp of the drive so it only runs when needed to save wear and tear.

The Allen Bradley Power Flex 755 for example can give you predictive data on the fan based on run hours so it can be replaced on a preventative maintenance schedule before it fails.

I would suspect because of the size range and cost range of the 4M that it only runs when the motor runs.

I checked that ... it doesn't run then either...

It's looking to me like it doesn't have a fan

I believe I have found in the manual that models 1HP and less do not have a fan.
That seems cheesy to me

Last edited:
I worked on a job last year where someone had installed fanless PF40P drives. The drives look identical to the ones with fans as there is the same housing for a fan, complete with vent cover but there is no fan fitted inside and no connector to retro-fit one. The customer gets overheating problems from time to time causing the drives to fault periodically. I suggested they could buy some 24V fans and add a supply to them but they seem content to live with it.