Electrical Tools

Usireland

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure this has probably been covered else where but if you put "tools" into search then almost every thread comes up.

I need to buy some new tools for our department and I have finally got the go ahead to get some better quality tools than what we normally get. They finally agreed that when were working on a live 400v panel its probably a good idea to have insulated screwdrivers :ROFLMAO:. We will be buying these tools from the USA and having them sent here to Brazil. As I am originally from Ireland, I don't really know many tool brands from the USA and I don't want to waste this chance and buy low quality tools.

Here´s what I need:
Wire Cutters
Long Nose Pliers
Combination Pliers
Insulation Strippers
Insulated Slotted Screwdrivers: 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 6mm
Insulated Philips Screwdrivers: Ph0, Ph1, Ph2

If you can recommend two types of tools, one is the "money's no object, these are the best" type tools and the other is the best "bang for your buck" type tools.

Also if you think I have missed out on an important tool, please post here so I can consider it.

Thanks
Ian

The best bang-for-buck American brand for screwdrivers is Xcelite.
The best pliers are Channellock.
Klein makes the best ring lug crimper. Klein makes a full range of tools for the contractor, but I have limited experience with their other tools. Seem like quality tools.
If someone argued that every tool must be a Klein, I might agree.

You need insulated Allen for breakers.

Last edited:
Knipex for price no object, their fully insulated line for live work is among the best on the market for durability and overall feel.
Klien or Greenlee are best bang for the buck for everday use.

If money is no object I’d go with Snap on. They aren’t just for auto repair. I’ve used them along with others (Craftsman, Matco, etc…) and I’ve always been very happy and impressed by the quality.
They have a contact in Brazil.
https://www.snapon.com/international/Ladis.asp

My problem with SnapOn is that they are very picky about how the tool was damaged before they replace it.
Craftsman never cared or questioned....even when I brought in a screwdriver that I had re-ground the end that was broken.

I have been using a lot of WIHA brand 1000 volt insulated screwdrivers and tools for the past 5 or 6 years and have been very happy with them.

I wear coveralls at work and the slim design of these tools fit well into the pockets.

I have also used Kline tools in the past and they are very good also, however they are a little larger profile than the Wiha and don't fit as well into my pockets.

Knipex is also very good for all types of pliers.

Here is a link to the Wiha catalog for you to look at.

http://www.wihatools.com/

BCS

This isn't a brand recommendation but a specific tool type recommendation. There are lots of devices out there now (contactors, drives, etc.) with Pozidriv screws. Most folks don't realize this and just stick an old Phillips #2 in there and go to it. Bad idea if it's something you've got to really crank on. A Phillips driver can ruin a Pozidriv fastener and vice versa. Pozidriv are designed not to cam out.

Second Bering C Sparky's plug of WIHA. Pricey but good quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Pozidriv

Wire Cutters - Can't go wrong with Klein. These things are tough and work wonderfully.
Long Nose Pliers - I like Klein again, but if you need insulated I find Wiha more comfortable.
Combination Pliers - Insulated Wiha
Insulation Strippers - Klein's are freaking amazing and get the hard insulated types
Insulated Slotted Screwdrivers: 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 6mm
Insulated Philips Screwdrivers: Ph0, Ph1, Ph2

Wiha's for the insulated screw drivers, those things are amazing. They are comfortable, but be warned - the smaller flat blades can warp pretty easily.

I also suggest getting a few of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32500-S...pebp=1435110344041&perid=0WWE6PCG18T8GWBJANVC

These things are simply an amazing pocket driver. They are pretty tough. At first you will probably end up with corrosion on it. I took a metal brush and some WD-40 to mine after that happened and wiped off the excess and just have to do it every few months from there.

Also, I second ChannelLock brand for pliers if you don't "need" insulated. These things are great and I put mine through the ringer every day. The guy I work with has a set that is about 20 years old and still being used every day. I even use mine as a hammer haha.

Last edited:
I also suggest getting a few of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-32500-S...pebp=1435110344041&perid=0WWE6PCG18T8GWBJANVC

These things are simply an amazing pocket driver. They are pretty tough. At first you will probably end up with corrosion on it. I took a metal brush and some WD-40 to mine after that happened and wiped off the excess and just have to do it every few months from there.

Better yet, try one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Megapro-15-In-1-Stainless-Driver-Yellow/dp/B004VJY99Y

They are 15-1 and all Stainless Steel, you will have a lot less corrosion worries with these, I have had these for years in use in a salt water environment.

If you need 1000v insulation on a multi driver you will want to look at the Wiha catalog I linked earlier though.

BCS

Totally different to what is available in Oz except for Weidmuller. Interesting. I use Crescent for pliers ad Trademate for other cutting tools - Weidmuller for strippers and ferrule crimpers - the die type - Cabac (Oz brand) for crimpers too - they have the 4 sided die type - great for tight spaces - and screwdrivers are Irizola from Spain - the expensive ones not the cheap ones. You have left side cutters out of your list - also nippers that are flat on the bottom for cutting stuff flush - side cutters do not cut flush.