RSLogix5000

waxx

Hi everyone,

How am I going to transmit data from one PLC controller to the other? I want to send a specific bit from PLC A to PLC B. Any ways to do this, would it be possible? A great thanks.

Hi waxx. How are they connected? One way would be to hard wire one's input to the others output. If they are connected on the same ethernet network, you may set up a Produce/Consume pair of tags.

I am new to AB, how would I know that PLC A and PLC B is under the same network...I have this info for my ENET module; PLC A IP is aa.b.cc.12 and PLC B is aa.b.cc.13. Looks like they are under the same VLAN cc, only the last 2 digits of the IP differs between 12 and 13.

PLC A IP is aa.b.cc.12 and PLC B is aa.b.cc.13

That looks like it qualifies as "being on the same network"!

If both of these Controllers are Allen Bradley and both Logix based using RSLogix5000 then using "Produced and Consumed Tags" will be the easiest way to do what you are looking for.
(If they are not then you may have to use Message Instructions)

Right click on the tag you want to send and select "Edit Properties" if you already have the tag made. (If not select "New Tag" to make a new tag).

Use the drop down in the "Type" box and select "Produced" (you can then press the "Connection" button and select Max # of consumers, (how many other PLC will consuming (reading) this data) and there are other settings you will see on this tab and the "Advanced" Tab.

So now you have your tag set up to be Produced ( or sent if you will)

Now go to the RSLogix5000 program for the Controller that will be "Consuming" (Reading) this data, and repeat the same process as above but this time select "Consumed" in the Drop down box.
Then press the connection button and select the applicable information so the controller knows "Who is the Producer" and what tag it needs to "Consume" (or read).

I am pretty new to this myself but that is the short version that should get you pointed in the right direction.

BCS

Last edited:
Does it needs to be in offline mode to do this? Also, under the consumer connection, what should I put on remote data? It would be great if you can send me some ladder/tag examples of produced and consumed tags for me to fully understand the concepts. I really appreciate your input.

Produce/Consume can only be setup offline. Also you can't Produce/Consume just a bit (boolean). It needs to be at least a word or a UDT tag.

The Produced tag has to have its type set to Produced. The Consumer side is a little more involved. First on the consumer PLC you must add the Produce PLC to the Consumer PLC's I/O tree. Then change the Consumer Tag type to Consumed. Then press the Connection button, on the dropdown select the Producer PLC and type in the name of the Produced tag.

Now be aware, Produce/Consume is very particular in that the data types on both sides must be exact. I usually use UDTs. I use the same UDT definition on both the PLCs.