Pause

Pausing a sequential routine is easy, since every step requires a set of conditions to advance to the next step, you just make sure that the conditions to advance never go true.

I'm thinking though, that you actually mean how do you pause a cyclically running program, which generally isn't possible in the real world.

Welcome to the Forum!

A small piece of advice as you are new...

I know language barriers can be an issue here but if you are posting a new thread, try to add more specific detail to its title. A one word title like "Pause" is quite vague and could mean anything. It may not immediately attract the attention of someone who might have specific knowledge to answer your questions.

Example...

"PLC Name Here" - How to Pause a Sequential Program?

This will attract Forum members who have knowledge with that PLC or that brand and often someone who knows exactly how to do what you have asked. This is before they even view the thread.

For the contents of your first post...

Again, statements such as "...I'm new in this PLC..." are extremely vague. It could mean you have poor English and are saying you are new to PLCs in general. Or you could be used to other PLCs, but not the one you are currently working with. If misinterpreted, Forum members may think you are a novice, which may not be the case. You need to state which PLC brand and model you are using.

Add as much detail as you can, no matter how insignificant you might think something is. The more detailed your questions are, the more detailed the answers are likely to be. Don't be afraid to ask what you might think are silly questions. The people who ask all the questions in the beginning may appear to be struggling, but they are usually the ones who excel in the end.

Posting the PLC brand and model here might help narrow down what you have asked, but also be clear whether you want to know how to Pause a Sequence itself, within its logic, or do you mean Pause a Program Routine that is running sequentially, cyclically, or periodically?

Or you could be referring to a Sequential Function Chart (SFC) routine?

In short...

Spell it out for us like we are dumb!

Regards,
George

I agree with all that is mentioned above.

Also, pause is a wrong word in PLC's, in my opinion.

The PLC must never pause/stop, it is always running and as mentioned above, looking for conditions to run portions of code.

Sorry Sir :eek::eek:

I'm using Automation Studio..
I think the proper word is to hold.. I need to hold the sequence of turning ON OR turning OFF conveyors by a switch..

I have 4 switches, one is for starting the sequence ( or turning it on) the other one is for shutting it down(Turn off) ,the one 3rd is for the pause..
and the last is for resume..

Last edited:
Also, pause is a wrong word in PLC's, in my opinion.

The PLC must never pause/stop, it is always running and as mentioned above, looking for conditions to run portions of code.

Pause is a valid term to use when programming using sequential function chart (SFC). You essentially pause the execution of that routine wherever it is. Handy if you want to temporarily hold up the state machine without needing fancy ways of moving in and out of the state machine.

I agree 100% :)

Just wanted to state that you don't pause the PLC, you pause the execution of a particular part of your program. The PLC happily keeps executing code and checking the conditions to resume that portion of your code.