Powerflex 525 will not start over ethernet

terry56

I have 1756-L73 & Powerflex 525, 10 HP drive.
(1) I have AOPs loaded.
(2) I have got the drive in the I/O Configuration tree using Drive Discovery.
(3) I have no comms fault to drive.
(4) I can see parameters in drive and set them OK.
(5) I have Parameter #46 set to Ethernet/IP.
(6) I have Parameter #47 set to Ethernet/IP.
(7) I have PF525:O.Forward set to 1.
(8) I have PF525:O.Start set to 1.
(9) I have PF525:O.FreqCommand set to 3000 (to run at 30HZ)

The drive still will not run, any ideas?

I haven't used the 525 on Ethernet yet, but with all other A-B drives that I have used, you have to have an input on the hardware STOP terminal in order to prevent the command from the terminal strip inputs from overriding the network command.

The PowerFlex 525 user manual says it ships with a jumper in place between Terminals 1 and 11 for exactly this reason.

So check that, and of course check to be sure you're not commanding a STOP across the network.

Yes, must jumper terminal 1 to terminal 11

If you are using a star topology to the single embedded Ethernet adapter, then you setting for parameter 46 and 47 should be as you chose "Ethernet/IP"

But, if you are using the dual-port DLR ring topology add on card set 46 and 47 to "Network Option"

Hi

Have you added the network card that gives you a second Ethernet port ,
If so you need to set 46 and 47 to network and use the N parameters to set your IP address

Donnchadh

I haven't used the 525 on Ethernet yet, but with all other A-B drives that I have used, you have to have an input on the hardware STOP terminal in order to prevent the command from the terminal strip inputs from overriding the network command.

The PowerFlex 525 user manual says it ships with a jumper in place between Terminals 1 and 11 for exactly this reason.

So check that, and of course check to be sure you're not commanding a STOP across the network.

The Stop command is the key. If you're doing everything over ethernet you have to energize the stop bit (Drive):O.Stop.

Just place a rung before your (Drive):O.Start bit to energize the stop bit on the inverse of the start logic.

Just place a rung before your (Drive):O.Start bit to energize the stop bit on the inverse of the start logic.

I disagree with this method.

The "Stop" command over a network has always been "1 = Stop, 0 = Not Stop" for A-B drives, going back to the 1336 and its RIO adapter.

While that's inverse from the way the physical wiring of a normally-closed STOP button in a three-wire control circuit works, it's an A-B tradition and it has been retained in the PowerFlex 520 series drives.

The other issue you can run into when simply inverting the sense of the RUN bit is a "race condition" where the EtherNet/IP packet interval timeout occurs exactly between the execution of the rungs that switch the values of START and STOP. If the drive gets a packet with both START and STOP bits true, the STOP bit wins.

I always assert the START bit until the bit indicating the drive is active goes true, then de-assert it.

Likewise, I assert the STOP bit until the bit indicating the drive is active goes false, then de-assert it.