Electrical enclosures C4 corrosion class

Karsten

Hello,

Looking for electrical enclosures with painting that meets C4 corrosion class. I have a customer rquirement from an asian customer but our normal european brands have no electrical enclosures with painting that meets C4 corrosion class.

Ideas?

My first thought is un-painted stainless.

EDIT: After a quick google search I find things about a hot dip galvanization process, its not specific to brands but is a start

Last edited:
Anything Marine Grade is above C4, all the places I looked do not list the "C" rating for the enclosure, seems that is more of a structural rating, not an enclosure rating.

Karsten,

Enclosures are typically NEMA rated.

Since you didn't state specifics in regards to the corrosive area,
you have several options.

Stainless steel - 308 and 316 stainless steel is the most common.
I would get the 4x version.

You also have fiberglass enclosures.

You MUST get with your customer and determine what chemicals the enclosure will be exposed to and see what the enclosure reactivity to the chemicals will be. You must choose the one for your application.

You also didn't mention how far the enclosure would be from the paint system.
You MUST have those details worked out as well to prevent the possibility of an explosion when the paint system is in operation. Don't forget about the paint solvents to clean the paint system.

regards,
james

Doing a bit more research for paint fumes and solvents a NEMA 8 might be more suitable

Certified and labeled for use in areas with specific hazardous conditions: for indoor and outdoor use in locations classified as Class I, Groups A, B, C, and D as defined in NFPA standards such as the NEC.

Chances are it would be a NEMA 4x/7/8/(possibly)9/10 rated enclosure

I believe the OP is asking for enclosure with materials and/or coatings suitable for C4 corrosion class. I don't think he is talking about the application being a painting system.

A quick google search indicates C4 can be met with hot dip galvanized and/or powder coated for example. There are specific methods required and it appears to be aimed at structural steel protection. I would think that a NEMA 4X enclosure would be a more rigorous requirement.

I agree I just followed up on James post, I have mentioned already the hot dip galvanization and C4 rating being a structural rating.

I do think James was atleast on the right track to verify the chemical hazard in place and work from there.

4x may be more, depends on the chemical that is causing the corrosion, depending on the scenario a NEMA rating of 6-10 may be applicable

Well, "Corrosivity classes", C1 through C5, are an ISO 9223 specification not really used much in North America, so those answering by stating NEMA standards are barking up the wrong tree here. Note that the OP in in Denmark...

C1-C5 have to do with corrosive environments for STEEL and how you treat it so as to not affect the structural integrity of it for a proscribed period of time. Although it COULD be applied to an electrical enclosure I suppose, it really is more about STRUCTURAL steel. Be that as it may, if it's in a spec, it's in a spec. But in a nutshell, if you use an enclosure that is NOT made of mild steel, then the "C4" rating becomes a completely moot point in my opinion.

There are lots of ways to treat the steel to meet C4 corrosivity requirements, but looking them over, the pre-treatment requirements include blasting (sand or bead), followed by a first layer treatment with either HDG, metallisation (zinc-aluminum coating) or epoxy primer, followed by 2 or more layers of another coating for up to 240 micron total thickness. I don't know of any mass produced electrical enclosure that goes to those lengths, so if you are forced to meet it, and going with stainless steel or fiberglass is not an acceptable alternate, then you are going to need to have these custom coated. Bottom line, it will not be an off-the-shelf product.